What's Your Go-To Powder and Primer for 280AI?

MSLRHunter

My 280AI will be done soon and I'm thinking about powder and primers for it. I'll be using the preformed Nosler 280AI brass and hope to shoot either 168vld or 160 accubond. I have some H-1000 on hand, I've heard of people using that but it seems like it would be a little slow. Also, I have a 24" barrel and don't want to use any of the temp sensitives like RL22, etc. I also have some CCI LR magnum primers, I know those would work, but would it be better to get some Fed210M, or something else? Thanks in advance for all the help.

The H1000 will work if it's all you have. If I was buying something to use, I'd buy H4831.

I use H4350 and magnum primers in my straight 280....If I was to ream it out I would try and increase by a bit but that powder has worked really well.

In my 6.5-06 AI, I run H1000. Nice accuracy. Tried both Magnum and 210 Match primers and settled on the large rifle match as the Magnum did not improve it.

The H1000 should work for you.

Thanks for the replies guys, the more I have read the more people I have seen using H1000 in 280AI. I have quite a bit for my 300 win mag so I will certainly give it a try. Also, H4831SC seems to be fairly popular so I may try that as well. Any others anyone can come up with?

I really have not had it in too many temperature variables yet but it is heating up here (central Idaho) so I'll be testing it in the next several weeks as our annual CIRCA safari is coming up. (Central Idaho Rockchuck Association).
I am also using RL 17 in a 6.5 creedmoor and it is acting the same as in the 280 AI---very fast and so far, very accurate. I really like the powder but like you, I worry about the sensitivity.

Randy

58.5gr H4831 for the 162 A-max. 63gr Retumbo for the 168vld's. Good accuracy for both loads.

rl22, your favorite 140-160 grain bullet, and a mag primer. My brother uses rl22 in his 280 with 140's, and though it isn't an ai, he's getting over 3K with 1/2 moa.

I get good accuracy with the RL-22 and RL-19 with the 140gr sleeping pills. I would also suggest the H1000 and possible Retumbo.

Retumbo either 63.0 or 63.5 grains, Nosler brass,Berger Hunting 168 VLD and depending on temperature in the area I'll be hunting CCI200 or CCI 250 mag. primer. Really the rule is anything over 60 grains of powder in a case of this design calls for a mag. primer but as we all know every gun is so different to it's likes! Excellent accuracy and deadly on game! I wouldn't hesitate on using this combo for Elk up to 600 yrds. This may even be my rig for my Elk hunt this year in Montana?

:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.