IMR 4831 Go to powder for what?

Worked well for me in 7 rem Mag. .25-06, .280, .270, .280 AI and similar also benefit. It surprised me your .270 doesn't like it. The load below was rushed with zero workup. From my Sendero SFII. Needed ammo for deer season so picked Noslers load straight from the manual with 168 gr ABLR and was pleasantly surprised
I think I've used it in .300 Win Mag 150 gr loads too a while back. Worked good enough there. That burn rate works well in .338 Win Mag however I've only ever used the Hodgdon variant in .338WM personally.

My uncle has used it exclusively in his 300 weatherby mag for almost 50 years. He is in no way a precision shooter but is the fastest reloader you will ever meet. LOL! He simply fills the shell to the top, wipes off the excess and loads his 180gr round nose to sammi OAL. Don't know how he's still alive but it does tell you how tough a mark V is.
I used to do that with H4831 and 180 grain Grand Slams in my 30-06 Remington 700. It was always 1 moa groups. I shot it like that for 20 years until the barrel shot out.

My uncle has used it exclusively in his 300 weatherby mag for almost 50 years. He is in no way a precision shooter but is the fastest reloader you will ever meet. LOL! He simply fills the shell to the top, wipes off the excess and loads his 180gr round nose to sammi OAL. Don't know how he's still alive but it does tell you how tough a mark V is.
That dude is probably lucky to still have a face...

Well, I see you have 6 pages of suggestions, so I will add another to the board. I have several 6.5 PRC's that adore the stuff. Couldn't find other powders during COVID so used what I had 4831SC and was thoroughly surprised. 55-56 gr of the stuff and a bit of bullet depth seating experimentation and boom…… .25-.50" predictable groups all day long. That's as good as I at 58 years old can shoot these days. As others have stated you do loose a bit of velocity… I'm in the 2950fps range +\- according to my Labradar. I will tell you I will always take predictable accuracy at range over speed any day. Good luck!!

If you're ever near Clayton New Mexico call Knotts. I was there in August and they had 7828SSC
I used to go thru there many of times a few decades ago headed to Raton. I've never seen where they have the king of 2 miles/Whittington range in the 30 years of going there.

I haven't used IMR Powders a long time ago. About took a bolt action apart. Below the primer out of the case. Learn shortly thereafter that IMR 4831 changes as much as 1.01fps in temp change. So now where are you at? In the info that I have come up with. 30fps variation in your bullet drops. Changes POI by 8.5" @ 1000yds. A 50fps changes the POI by 14" @ 1000yds. That is also on what powders used. Now H4831 the fps changes .08 per degree H4350 changes about .032 per degree. So now H4350 changes about 1.6" @ 1000yds in 50dr weather change, and H4831 changes about 4" with the same temp change. 50 dr isn't much in weather change.
Now I did get better velocity in IMR 4831 and IMR 4350 by about 100fps. I did get great 5 shot grouping with the IMR powder and like wises with the H powders.
Now back to the temp powders: H4381 in 125dr weather change is 10" and H3450 is 4" @ 1000yds. Now back to IMR 4831 in weather change of 125dr means as much 123". Split that in half @ 1000yds that 61.5". That is by using the means of temp. Change that into 500yds turns into about 30.75". This is using Extreme Rifle Powders Chart by Hodgdon Powders. I supplied the math to show the difference in change in POI just to Weather. That doesn't put all the rest that is needed to make a long shot.
I am not really up on programs that may do the work for you.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 55
What cartridge is this a go to powder for? I have about 7.5 pounds. I bought a 8# jug about a year ago thinking it would be good in my 270 Win. I've tried it with several bullets and it hates this powder.
I also have had luck with 338 win mag and 300 win mag.