IMR 4831 Go to powder for what?

I grew up in the 1950's in a working class family. We had two powders to use because they were cheap, military surplus: IMR4831 and IMR4895. Those were simpler times wrt to cartridges too: 30-30, 300 savage, 270, 6.5Jap, and 8mm along with Gibbs wildcats. In a nutshell: 4831 for the 270 and 4895 for the 30-06. My dad's go to elk killer was Herters 150gr round nose with 61gr IMR4831 in his 270 Gibbs with a muzzle velocity near 3000 fps. That combination filled the freezer for many years. I don't remember the straight 270 load, but dad carried a one hole 5 shot group target in his wallet for many years to use when bragging about his Pre-war Model 70, 270 accuracy. He also was a Jack Oconner fan, Outdoor Life writer and 270 Win promoter. I grew up shooting white tail deer with a Remington Model 721 using 100 gr bullets and IMR 4831 powder. Our old 270's loved it!!

What cartridge is this a go to powder for? I have about 7.5 pounds. I bought a 8# jug about a year ago thinking it would be good in my 270 Win. I've tried it with several bullets and it hates this powder.
I like it in my 8x68 pushing a 220 woodleigh PP at 2800 fps

What cartridge is this a go to powder for? I have about 7.5 pounds. I bought a 8# jug about a year ago thinking it would be good in my 270 Win. I've tried it with several bullets and it hates this powder.
Was my go to when I had a 25-06.
Works well in 280AI with 140 Accubond
Works well 257 WB with 80 ttsx bt
Shot .25" 300WM with 150 Speerspbt
Go to powder for 338 Imperial Mag 250gr which is a child of 404 Jeffrey very similar to the RUM lineup

Last edited:
Thanks. Got 2 of the 3.

BTW I haven't had a windless condition to check and report spin drift findings yet. Didn't want you thinkin I forgot.:)
You can't be sure there is not wind at the ranges spin drift becomes measurable, so to really identify spin drift, you need to shoot two identical rifles/loads but one with a left hand twist barrel and the other with a right hand twist. Alternate your shots. Meaure the distance between the groups and divide by two. But don't worry, Brian Litz already did it to develop and verify his mathematical models for spin drift. Just get ABS - it is pretty **** accurate.

30-06 with a 180 Partition pill. Killed a few elk that set up

If you're ever near Clayton New Mexico call Knotts. I was there in August and they had 7828SSC
I drove all the way from Falcon, CO to Knotts when Unsane was in office for some H4350; love that place, but the last time I was through Clayton their big sign was gone and I missed them, turned around and found them still in business on the second try. Recommend you ask for what you are looking for since most of us non-locals can be overwhelmed by all their stuff and not see it.

338 Win Mag.
300 Win Mag.
7mm Win Mag.

It's a pretty useful powder for many of the middle of the road centerfire rifle cartridges. Just a slightly faster burn rate than Hodgdon 4831.
Hello, I just picked up a 7mm Wby Mag. Is a magnum primer required for the range of magnum cartridges you mentioned with IMR 4831?

Recent Posts