280ai powder

Brambles

Custom Remington ti 280ai with 9 twist barrel refuses to shoot Retumbo under 1 MOA.

I've tried 162 eld-x and 168 Berger hvld and tried working the crap outta Retumbo with charge weights and seating depths, primers but nothing consistantly under 1moa....kinda frustrating because the 140tsx and RL22 load I worked up years ago was dead simple.

Lots of groups two touching one 1-1.25" away, but I know the bedding is good as it shoots awesome with 140 tsx

I have a good quantity of Retumbo and that's why I wanted to make it work..but it looks like a lost cause....

Reloader brand supply is drying up and talk of temp sensitivity has me wanting to use a different powder. In fact reloading component supply is really hit or miss in Canada these days.

Appropriate powders I have in sufficient quantities are H4831sc, imr 4350, imr 7828, h1000( like to keep that for my 338 edge though)

Got a couple boxes of 160 accubonds im gonna try next....

Any recommendations on powder to try next...?

I've had trouble with the 168 grain Berger VLD and RL26. But the 168 Barns LRX and RL26 is showing lots of promise in my 280ai (1:8 twist needed though).

A sure bet will be those 160 grain AB's, and H4831sc. I'd try that, at least to get your confidence back (which can also be important). But that will be a very accurate combination, and shouldn't be too difficult to find a load that works out great.

7828 would likely give you some more speed.

I wold have to go back in my book for powder charges but My Kimber loved H 4831sc with 168VLD ,and then I went to Berger classic hunter it would put 3 under half inch at 100 yards .
My Cooper hated retumbo as well but shot 140 AB and 160 AB IMR 4831 also liked 168 VLD all three shot MOA out to 1000yards . all loads with 215M Nosler brass. My Cooper 140 / 160 AB loads were max loads in manual .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts