Which Hodgden powder for 280AI

ol mike

Which Hodgden powder would be "THE POWDER" for a 280 AI shooting 162gr amax/160gr accubonds?

Also i prefer the shortcut powders if you've worked w/ them.

308nate called today she's ready to ship !!!!!!!!!!!
It'a rem 700 blueprinted -hs precision stock -28" broughton -5 C -4.1 magnum sporterweight barrels w/ one of Nathans d-port brakes.
My first true longrange gun.

Thanks for any help..-ME

4831SC, 1000, in that order. Hybrid 100V is a new powder which should bring about fertile grounds for discussion. It has a burn rate b/w 4350 and 4831. If you are willing to use IMR, then try 7828SSC

Last edited:
My son and I both shoot 280AI. He has switched his over to RL22 with 168 Berger VLD's and is at 2900 fps. I have used H4831sc in mine the last 2 years with 154 gr. Hornady interlocks. I am now playing with the 168 Bergers and will try my best to either use 4831sc or 1000. I have had some situations with RL22 in a 7 rem mag where temp differential was not good and the difference in lot's of powder became a pain to deal with. I have found the best vel. and accuracy out of RL22 but here in Montana we can be chasing antelope at 75 F and the next week in elk camp at 10 below in the high country. I tried retumbo and just couldn't get any vel. that I was happy with.
Both rifles are custom 25" kreiger with 1-10 twist.

Just curious cowboy, but why did you choose a 1-10 twist for a 7mm caliber?

I'm currently using Retumbo in my 7mag with 168 Bergers. I cannot complain about the accuracy.

ol mike,

Break a 20 and get a bottle of 7828SSC. Heck, if worse comes to worse you only be out of a 1/4 tank of gas worth of dollars.;)

I've been giving it a go in a 270 AM w/150 class bullets and it seems to do well. Its a bit too fast for the heavier bullets in this cartridge.

The computer 'tween my ears says it'd be worth a try in the 280 AI. You otta be able to shoot clear to Mtn. Home;)

I'm gonna give it a go in the pecker wood 270 Win, w/140s and 150s, who know it may work.

I have some 4831sc so i'll give it a whirl .

I haven't had any problem w/ imr powders pertaining to temp sensitivity -i use 4350 w/ 100gr nbt and it does great in all seasons.

7828 pops up a lot in my research -recon i can spring for a can ...quater tank of fuel ain't much.

I've heard vitv-560 is really good -big velocity and accuracy , but i've also read it's abrasive on throats.

I have some 4831sc so i'll give it a whirl .

I haven't had any problem w/ imr powders pertaining to temp sensitivity -i use 4350 w/ 100gr nbt and it does great in all seasons.

7828 pops up a lot in my research -recon i can spring for a can ...quater tank of fuel ain't much.

I've heard vitv-560 is really good -big velocity and accuracy , but i've also read it's abrasive on throats.

VV N560 is getting good reviews from all I have heard that have used it. I can vouch for N160 and N165. VV gives VERY consistent velocities (low SDs). For your stated application, IF you're going to limit yourself to Hodgdon, you're going to limit yourself. IMO, H4831 is a good powder for 160s/162s, but there's better. 7828, could border on being a bit too slow...so slow you might run out of case before you hit max. Maybe not though. However, R-22 and N165 are about ideal burn rate for your application, and N560 would be too. With R-22 I've run 60grs with 160s in my .280Rem. Got right at 2990 in a 24" bbl. You ought to be able to run near 3100, or just under with 28" of bbl. The powders in the burn rate range of R-22 will serve you best IMO.

Vv N560, N165

I can also vouch for these 2 powders. I've been using them for years now and ALWAYS have both on the shelf ready for use. Burn very clean also.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Been reading over some burn-rate charts and also single based -double based powders trying to gain some knowledge.

A little confused i must admit...

Reloader 22 is slower than 7828 and some say 7828 might be too slow , then -most- people love the re 22 except for its sensitivity to hot/cold.

I'm going to order a can of the Vv n-560 and try the h-4831 sc ,if they don't work out like a dream -i'll just start dog talking 308nate's gun building skills[just kidding].

Also just picked up a rem 700 7mm RM -like new adl -$300 that will become a 338 rogue or edge.It would sure be nice to find a powder that would work in both guns [7mm's] and the 560 claims to.

Been reading over some burn-rate charts and also single based -double based powders trying to gain some knowledge.

A little confused i must admit...

Reloader 22 is slower than 7828 and some say 7828 might be too slow , then -most- people love the re 22 except for its sensitivity to hot/cold.

I'm going to order a can of the Vv n-560 and try the h-4831 sc ,if they don't work out like a dream -i'll just start dog talking 308nate's gun building skills[just kidding].

Also just picked up a rem 700 7mm RM -like new adl -$300 that will become a 338 rogue or edge.It would sure be nice to find a powder that would work in both guns [7mm's] and the 560 claims to.

You have to take powder burn rate charts with a grain of salt. Different lots of the same powder differ slightly in burn rate. I've never seen a chart that listed R-22 slower than 7828...seen them listed 7828 right after R-22, and then seen a couple of powders between them on others. I see N165 listed faster than R-22 on a lot of charts, but the lots of each that I currently have, the N165 is just a tad slower burning than the R-22 according to the loads and velocity I'm getting.

RL 22 is the powder of choice in my 280 AI with the 160 gr AB.
Avg MV from my 24" Hart #5 is 3019 fps.
280AI.jpg

JD338

JD338 ,

I just rooted back through all your posts -b/c after seeing that lss stocked 280ai it rung a bell.
I had it in my mind that that gun was -james jones gun and i've directed a few 280ai questions to him b/c i ''thought'' that was his gun .Just got things twisted somehow...

I found ''your'' thread and picture when you first got the gun ,and saw that i had commented on it's beauty.
Anyway i got me straightened out...Thanks for the 280ai help and again that's a fine fine rifle...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.