Hodgden H-1000 -280AI -too slow ?

Mike,

What is the C.O.A.L. that you want to start with for the 162g A-Max Load. I may be able to get a data sheet made up for it (with H1000). All data is done individually with with bullet, powder, cartrdge COAL and cartridge type. There could be alot of combinations.
I've already asked my friend and he said OK, but needed that Measurement before he could do it.

I need your e-mail so I could send it along after he sends it to me. He's in Penn, and I'm in Idaho.

Dan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan ,

My rifle is rem 700 adl w/a 28" broughton -5c- -1-9" twist rate- -#4 contour-built by SSG=308nate his first 280ai.

My barrel is throated for the long 160gr bullets .
The 162 amax is 3.520" touching the lands so 3.500" is where i started = 20K off the lands.

Nosler 280ai brass and cci 200 large rifle primers.
I'll pm you my email -thanks alot -Mike
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgot to add a comment about your 7mag -maybe the forthcoming data might get you a workable load w/a 162 amax -i just want to stick w/hodgdon x treme powders if i can.
Your barrel should easily stabilize the 162's even a 1-9.25" remington factory barrel should work fine.

Last edited:
Mike,

I got your PM, so I'll be sending the data as I recieve it.

That sounds like a nice rifle. I've thought about a .280 AI, but I'm actually in the middle of building a 6.5-06 AI, I've got the bbl and a Rem 700 ADL Deluxe. If I do a .280 AI, It'll be down the road.

I thought the Remington bbl should stabilize those 162g A-Max bullets with the 1-9.25" twist, even though the box said 1-8 twist . I have most of the box, so I'm still planning on working with them. Bergers are also in my plans for that rifle.

I'd try those magnum primers or even benchrest primers with those slow burning powders. It helps in the efficency of the burn. Just back off a little more and re work up. Cost on the CCI-250s aren't much more than the CCI-200s, the CCI-BR2s are a bit more, but in a match rifle, why not use match components.

Dan

hello just caught the end of this thread . I have been here for a long time but I had reregister because I always keep my work computer set to remember. Anyway I am too interested in this thread. I just recieved my 280 Ai built on a savage action with a 28 in rock barrel and a vais muzzle break. Mine is twisted on 8.5 with the idea to only shoot heavy stuff. My idea is to shoot 162s as well. Should I be shooting magnum primers for more consistancy? I have been running 7828 and rl 22 and rl 25. These have all been only shot on a limited bases as there is only 60 rnd through the rifle. For the person that started this thread could you let me in on any new info you find.
Thanks
T

I need to add this to, as I forgot to mention that if you are interested in using match primers. Federal has a Magnum Match primer, I can't remember what the number for it is, (I've got 2 trays in my reloading room set aside for test loads.) But they can be hard to find. But I guss that depends on your local gun shop.

As I've said before, I'd always use magnum primers with the slower powders and also with large capacity cases. You can make that judgement for yourself, but I would.

Dan

Dano1 ,

If i didn't own a 25-06 already a 6.5-06 AI would be right up my alley ,true magnum level performance in the 06 case.The big berger and amax 140's will perform great w/ tolerable levels of recoil w/o a muzzlebreak.

I have some cci br primers -and will get some 250's when i get the H-1000.

If you want to post the incoming info here that would be great -that way everybody can take advantage of it.--Mike

Mike,

I sent the info to your E-mail. For everyone else, H1000 seems that it's a little too slow for the .280 AI as you'll actually run out of case capacity before you max out on pressure. That's not to say that it wouldn't be a good shooting powder, it's just that your top velocitys will be with a faster powder like H4831 or even H4350.

LAFD suggest a faster powder as does Quick load. For the 162g A-Max, Using H1000, 63.4g is max with a 100.10% case fill.

Dan

Hi i have used H1000 in my 270 win my load is 62.0 grs in a rem cass with 210 fed primers getting 3110 fps out of a 26 inch barrel with deviation in the teens or single digit numbers and shoots 1/2 inch groups

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.