Retumbo too slow for 300 WM?

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
I was looking around other sites and several post have said that Retumbo was too slow to use in a 300 wm. I disagree unless your going to be shooting the heavier bullets. Lighter rounds may shoot too slow.

Would you fellas mind giving me your Retumbo 300 wm load?

I was looking for a good one for my 230's.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

my brother was using retumbo in his 300win a few years back with the 200 speer. It was so accurate in his#1 that we actually did some prarie dog hunting with it. The bullet was actually able to get through the mound when they were peeking out.

I don't know the charge weight but it was a compressed load. You can likely work up from a mid load with a powder that is a couple steps faster until you either run out of room or hit pressure and find an accurate load somewhere in the mix.

Barrel length will play a major factor.

A longer barrel will greatly help increase velocity by letting more powder burn before the bullet exits.

I use 79 gr of Retumbo with 210 Hunting VLD Bergers, 215 Primer, Norma brass in a rem 700 Milspec with a 24" barrel. Velocity is 2900FPS, ES 8-12 FPS, accuracy; .25-.5MOA. No pressure signs at all.
For the last severalyears Retumbo has become one of my favorite powders. I also use it in my 6.5x284 for maximum velocity at low pressures. It has also proven to be very temperature stable.

you can make anything from 4895 to 870 work in the 300mag. Is retumbo ideal? Not in my opinion. I think re22 and 7828 are about ideal re19 and 4831 on the fast side still very useable and re25 retumbo h1000 on the slow side but still useable.
my brother was using retumbo in his 300win a few years back with the 200 speer. It was so accurate in his#1 that we actually did some prarie dog hunting with it. The bullet was actually able to get through the mound when they were peeking out.

I don't know the charge weight but it was a compressed load. You can likely work up from a mid load with a powder that is a couple steps faster until you either run out of room or hit pressure and find an accurate load somewhere in the mix.

you can make anything from 4895 to 870 work in the 300mag. Is retumbo ideal? Not in my opinion. I think re22 and 7828 are about ideal re19 and 4831 on the fast side still very useable and re25 retumbo h1000 on the slow side but still useable.

I think this is exactly correct. However, ABM uses MagPro in their 230 gr ammo.

I think this is exactly correct. However, ABM uses MagPro in their 230 gr ammo.

I won't touch Magpro... I've seen hangfires in a number of loads with multiple rifles that should be fine. It is a issue with certain primers and the powder not getting along from what Sierra said when I mentioned it to them years back. They said to switch from fed to cci primers and the issue should go away; I had toss the powder already and I have no plans to try it again.

As to retumbo in the 300win, yes it is a bit slow and rl22/7828/h1000 are better choices, but I'd rather go with a powder that is a bit slow and have mild pressures at or near full potential for the rifle than too fast a powder that reaches pressure with a lot of room in the case...

You are correct about the moderate pressures. Retumbo can be loaded compressed and I don't see a way to go beyond safe pressures. There is a book load that is acceptable velocity. If your throat will allow it, longer COAL will get you more FPS.

Burn profile gives you pretty good ballistic efficiency.

If you have a 26" barrel then OBT gives you nodes at ~2620fps and ~2720fps, both fine for the Berger 230s

If you have a 24" barrel then your OBT node is more like ~2600 or slower.

All the best.

Since trading for my 5R .300WM, I loaded up some ladder test loads the other night using some new 1993 Federal Match .300WM brass, Fed 215M primers, 7828 SSC, and Berger 210 VLD's.

We'll see which ones it likes next time I get a chance to go to the range.

That brass seems to be holding up good for a buddy of mine's .300 WM, so he let me have some. Sadly though, I can't seem to find ANY .300WM brass...

Anybody know where I can pickup 100 or so new Noslers?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.