What's next?

orangediablo

I'm somewhat new to reloading in terms that I stick to the "basics"...Remove primers, clean, inspect, FL size, prime, powder, bullet, light crimp. I'm happy with my results at 200, I can usually cover 3-4 shots with a quarter, but at 300, things start opening up more than I like, almost to the point where a .4-.5 MOA turns into a 1 MOA (some vertically, some horizontally). Without a doubt, I know some more reloading advice and adjusting/adding a process or two will tighten these up. I picked up a magnetospeed to check velocities and spreads, so that should help. I know vertical spread culprits can be charge, neck tension, crimp (maybe)...I guess what is the next easiest step to add to alleviate vertical spread? Check charge weight with second scale? Anneal? Just neck size instead of FL? If you need any more info, ask away.

Do you feel good about your shooting position and your form? I'm not sure if you need to blame your loading technique yet. With the fact that some of your group opening up is vertical and some horizontal.

I am a full length size guy. Easier to keep consistency in the ammo. Better for hunting as there is less potential for chambering issues. A bit of a crimp is a good thing in my opinion. Depending on how you are crimping, you may need to check the case length to make sure they are all exactly the same length.

Steve

I'm fairly confident in my shooting position/form. This is also under the assumption that there is little difference between 2-300yds and how much my position would effect this.

I'm happy with my results at 200, I can usually cover 3-4 shots with a quarter, but at 300, things start opening up more than I like, almost to the point where a .4-.5 MOA turns into a 1 MOA (some vertically, some horizontally)

not your reloading , IMO , either need a heavier or higher bc bullet, scope retical lines not thin enough , or could be the shooter

because if you get .4 -.5 at 200 you are , that doesnt change at 3

id guess retical thickness , if you want to shoot a fly at 300 , its alot easier if you can line the crosshairs up right between his wings ....

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/default.asp

not your reloading , IMO , either need a heavier or higher bc bullet, scope retical lines not thin enough , or could be the shooter

because if you get .4 -.5 at 200 you are , that doesnt change at 3

id guess retical thickness , if you want to shoot a fly at 300 , its alot easier if you can line the crosshairs up right between his wings ....

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/default.asp

that was my next investment...getting rid of the PST that's on it and picking up a SHV. The reticle is twice as thick on the PST, which I'm not a huge fan of. I'll do some research and work on technique as well. Hopefully that will help.

You can line up the cross hair with the aim point in the corner of one of the quadrants instead of covering it with the cross hair. Or use a larger aim point so that you can equal out how much of the aim point is in each quadrant. Until you get the new scope.

Steve

Iagree, I never cover the point, I always line upo on the right or left edge of the bull and split the horizontal

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.