Next step?

ShtrRdy

What charge weight do you think I should try next? I usually see a more well defined "sweet spot" when doing a OCW test.

This is a .308 Win using a 175 gr SMK and IMR-4064

20190630_094609.jpg

Last edited:
Did you hit pressure yet? Also did you happen to record numbers like SDs on the groups? Again lots of people do it different but me I like the SDs to help me decide on an area of interest and slowly fine tune around that best group with lowest SD and start messing with seating depth and moving around in .1 gr increments.

I ran 4064 with 178s in lapua brass and I will check my notes but I think my charge was around 43.2 or so. If you aint hit pressure I think you will find a good node around that 43 to 43.4 as it looks like you are easing into that node with 42.9 charge. You need to adjust your scope you didn't even hit the bull one time out of all them groups! lol

I have a Mag-speed or an optical chrono. I don't trust the optical chrono readings when its sunny out - which is about 300 days of the year. So I dont have velocity readings.

I dont have much pressure sign except a bolt face swipe an the case head.

What velocity did you end up with?

Late last fall I worked up a load using once fired Federal GMM brass that I had shot out of this gun and arrived at this:
20181209_105443-1.jpg

I recently tried this load and it didn't do so well. I'm thinking the 60 degree temperature difference is throwing the node off?

I haven't tried Varget yet. After I found that good load last fall I bought an 8 lb jug of IMR-4064 so I would really like to use it. I should try Varget though to see how well it works. Thanks for the suggestion.

Late last fall I worked up a load using once fired Federal GMM brass that I had shot out of this gun and arrived at this:
View attachment 139894

I recently tried this load and it didn't do so well. I'm thinking the 60 degree temperature difference is throwing the node off?
Also I would think your node is off simply because u were using fgmm brass on the old one and now u are in lapua brass, as their capacities are different for sure. Did u try that load again in FGMM brass?

Also I would think your node is off simply because u were using fgmm brass on the old one and now u are in lapua brass, as their capacities are different for sure. Did u try that load again in FGMM brass?

Actually I shot some of the same Fed brass loads I had made last fall. So they are the same everything just a different day, and a lot warmer outside. ;-)

I haven't tried Varget yet. After I found that good load last fall I bought an 8 lb jug of IMR-4064 so I would really like to use it. I should try Varget though to see how well it works. Thanks for the suggestion.
Back in the day, before Varget was available, Across the Course shooters (NRA Highpower rifle; 200, 300 and 600 yard), H4064 was THE powder for 308.
Varget came out and it seemed like the entire competitive community went to it overnight; it was that much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.