Logical next step for 6.5x55 Swede

merbeau

I am starting with a 6.5x55 Swede built off a Rem 700 action with new PPG stainless bolt and trigger guard assembly. The barrel is a Hart heavy varmint contour barrel (27 inches long) having 1:8 twist and recessed crown. All set in a Bobby Hart LRT stock with aluminum block.

I am using Nosler brass, Cutting Edge 120 gr. MTH bullet and Winchester rifle standard primers. I started at 0.005 from the lands and also tried 0.01 and 0.015. These were all shot with various loads using IMR 7828 SSC, IMR 4831, IMR 4350, RL 22, N160 and Hybrid 100V. None of these combinations provided any groups less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

I checked my scope and mounts and they are not loose. The assembly fits into the Hart stock with the barrel free floated and centered.

My conclusion is the rifle does not like the Cutting Edge bullet. I had good success with these in 300 and 338 win mag and decided to try them in my 6.5mm set up.

This rifle will be used for competition (600 yards and less) so I am mainly interested in those type of bullets. I am considering going with Lapua 123 Scenar L bullet.

Do you guys agree the bullet may be the issue and should I stick with the 120s or try going to 130 grain.

thanks

Robert

Last edited:
I found the primer to be the answer to any of my 6.5x55 accuracy issues.

CCI was good CCI BR was better! Did all my testing with RL-22 in both a CBI and Shilen barrel.

I would give the bullet one last chance with a different primer test.

Check out the results I got form bullets I made myself. Groups eventually got down to 3/8"

BTSniper new 6.5mm match grade dies!!

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

Ok, did not think of the primer issue. I have some Cutting Edge bullets left. I can obtain CCI from my local supplier. Thanks for the tip.

Robert

I don't know if it will make the cutting edge bullets fly any better but for me using bullets that match the 140 grain Nosler CC, I went from +2" groups to under 1/2" simply by switching from Fed 210m primer to a CCI BR primer. ?????

It made all the difference for me in what was a somewhat frustrating experiment in which it was the last thing I tried, the primer, that made the difference.

BT

I went to your link and those bullets look really good and the results are superb. Much credit to you on that.

After so many powders failed I decided that perhaps it was a seating issue but Cutting Edge bullets are not supposed to as sensitive as the Berger VLDs. So I tried to match what Cutting Edge recommended and then to some 120 grain Prvi Partizan match factory ammunition. I did read where the 6.5 is sensitive to case length (long being bad) so I made sure the Nosler brass were shorter than the max.

Of all the powders IMR 7828ssc gave the best (bad) group so I will try it along with the CCI BR primer to see what happens. I can almost see where the primer might be an issue for the large cases like 300 or 338 mag but the 6.5 is relatively small. That is why I went to the bullet first. I did see one study years ago in Bench Rest shooting where various primers were tried on a recipe at 1000 yards and the Federal 215 primer produced a shrinkage of groups. So the primer can be an issue.

I was entering this information into my shooting log and looked at all the shooting data. The day 7828 gave me the best group it was 80 degrees and every time since then has been 45 to 55 Based on that it just may be a primer issue.

Probably can not get the range until February and I will try to post the results.

Last edited:
I also have found that primers DO make a BIG difference in loads. You do have a problem if you can't get better than 1.5" groups out of a 6.5x55 Swede. I have some stock military 6.5x55 Swedes that shoot better than that with the open sights. 140 Sierra Match Kings with 37.8 grs IMR4895 Fed 210M primer in a Remington case only does 2400 fps but is awesomely accurate in all my Mauser Swedes. Well under 1" at 100 yards. I have one rifle that likes Varget better. I get top speed and under 1" accuracy out of a Sported Mauser 96 with AA 4350 46 grs. Fed 210M with 120 gr Sierra SP and Nosler BT 3000 fps out of the 29" barrel and this is listed in the Accurate manual as under 46000 CUP. 45 Grs AA 4350 with 140 Sierra SP or Hornady interlock SP does 2800 fps and is just as accurate. Both loads hammer deer.

I also have found that primers DO make a BIG difference in loads. You do have a problem if you can't get better than 1.5" groups out of a 6.5x55 Swede. I have some stock military 6.5x55 Swedes that shoot better than that with the open sights. 140 Sierra Match Kings with 37.8 grs IMR4895 Fed 210M primer in a Remington case only does 2400 fps but is awesomely accurate in all my Mauser Swedes. Well under 1" at 100 yards. I have one rifle that likes Varget better. I get top speed and under 1" accuracy out of a Sported Mauser 96 with AA 4350 46 grs. Fed 210M with 120 gr Sierra SP and Nosler BT 3000 fps out of the 29" barrel and this is listed in the Accurate manual as under 46000 CUP. 45 Grs AA 4350 with 140 Sierra SP or Hornady interlock SP does 2800 fps and is just as accurate. Both loads hammer deer.

Thanks for the reply. Well that just about seals the deal. After my first test firing I was encouraged with the result. I figured that going back and straddling the test load +/- 0.5 grains would zero me in. Cutting Edge had told me once you find a load that provides an initial good result going up 0.5 in small calibers or 1 grain in large usually will produce excellent accuracy.

Re: Logical next step for 6.5x55 Swede (updated results)

First, thank you to all that commented. I was able to finally get back to the range for some testing. There were many varied comments so I decided to use a ladder approach by varying one variable at a time to see its relative impact. I purchased CCI BR primers, Lapua Scenar L 136 grain bullets, and Lapua brass.

First test was the CCI primers with the 120 grain bullet and while it did help in reducing the groups somewhat nothing substantial. Keeping the primer constant next test was to try the Lapua bullets. Had somewhat of a dilemma with Alliant listing 45.5 as the maximum load, Nosler at 46.5 and Lyman 49th Edition at 47.0 grains for 140 grain bullets. So I had to start low and work my way up to where an initial group of 0.7 inches was produced using 46.5 grains of RL 22 with no pressures signs.

Then keeping those two constant I started with seating the bullet one caliber (0.264) deep which was 0.002 off the lands and then then varied the seating depth in 0.005 increments down to 0.015 inches. At a testing depth of 0.012 off the lands the group shrank to 0.5 inches. I then used Lapua brass keeping everything else constant and the group shrunk to 0.375 inches (Fig 1).

As an aside this combination produced groups no more than 0.7 inches for a range of powders from 45.5 to 47.0.

I now feel my investment was worthwhile.

Many thanks again to all those who responded.

Robert

Attachments

• Fig. Final Results.JPG
    Fig. Final Results.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 174
I was lucky enough to buy a Dave Tooley 6.5x55 rifle a few years ago. It was a Winchester action in a McMillan Stock, nice hunting rig for sure. It came with a Ken Farrell rail that had Weaver slots in it and none of my QD scope mounts would fit so I ordered one with mil spec slots so I could mount a scope. Just to get on paper I had some Hansen 139 grain soft points and after about six rounds got it on a three inch peel and stick round target. I switched over to 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips I shoot in my model 96 Swede loaded with H4895. All over the place, I was hurt. I had some 140 grain Hornady Spire Points, same thing. Both of these loads shot an inch in my Mauser. I packed everything up and went home all the time saying no wonder I got a deal on it. I know all bores are different so I did notice the Hansens were hard to chamber and with no information about the rifle I decided I better start all over ( the correct thing to do ) with new components and a new approach. The main problem was I found a few weeks later after cleaning the barrel was it was copper fouled to the max. The previous owner-owner's had not taken care of this fine piece of equipment. This has no bearing on the topic of load development for a new gun I know but once I got the copper out I basically had a fresh start. The last time I shot this rifle I had a load of 46.5 grains of I 4831 at 3.00 OAL, I forget the jump and I finally got a sub one inch group at 100 yards, a good start. I found a phone number and called Dave and picked his brain for a couple of minutes and he suggested a slower powder ( 4350 ) and to basically just work the load up. Nice guy, sorry to say I sold the rifle before I got a chance to finish the load. I still have my Carl Gustav Mauser and plenty of 4831 so back to the drawing board.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts