What would you rebarrel a .270 into?

I did a 6.5 A-square,,, basically a 6.5/06,,, I like it but its alot of brass peeping at first which is ok for now,,, but I'm sure I'll re-barrel to a 25/06 or 270 when the pipe burns out...

My friend up the road from me has taken alot of Elk and Moose with his 270,,, a few Wolves and Cougars...

Its a simple cartridge that gets the job done,,, it won't be long before the .277 sees a line up of high tech bullets...

I'm sure that there are lots out there already...

Some folks don't know this,,, the .277 is the closest to 7mm,,, actually 7.03mm if I recall... They seem to fly pretty nice from what I've seen...

Cheers from the North
7mm is 284.

Hello RDR, interesting question and thoughts. You will of course receive a great selection of responses! Based on my personal: study, experiences and biases . . . I would disregard chamberings of diameters less 7mm/.280. There are a wide range of well constructed bullets/projectiles to choose from for a multitude of applications. It can deliver sufficient payload/weight for efficient hunting and harvest of a wide range of game. It can be loaded for: speed, accuracy and distance. // You refer to Jack O'Connor for many valid reasons. He is well known for his use of the .270 . . . I'm sure that he could have done the same with a multitude of .280s or .30/.300s just as readily. Of note is the fact that he had also commented on the notion that his own touting of the .270 may well NOT have been optimal for others. He had stated that the .280 (Remington) chambering was everything the .270 (Winchester) was, plus more flexibility/utility. ((My words, not a quote of his!)) If one handloads there is of course optimal flexibility. // Keeping the same bolt-face that you have my favorites would be some form of a 7mm-308 AI, or some form of a 7mm-30/06 AI.. (Both the .30/06 and .308 brass are standard and readily available from many manufacturers of course.) If one was NOT tied to the same bolt-face I'd be choosing some form of the 7mm RSAM or WSM. // Do I appreciate the 7mms - yes! Big enough, small enough, fast enough, hits hard enough and accurate enough - for a wide-range of applications. (JMHO)

Last edited:
PS: I don't think that you should expect to have this project completed within 2 weeks - regardless of the chambering that you ultimately choose! However, I would suggest that if the option of your Dad's .280 is a valid option, I would suggest getting intimately familiar with it for handling and characteristics/capabilities and function at the range as often as possible before your hunt. // Can't think of anything a .270 can do that a .280 won't - except utilizing .270 ammo!

PPS: I have a 25/06 Imp. that I love dearly and have used successfully on a number of occasions, for a number of applications - it is a real dream in many ways. I've harvested probably a baker's dozen or so Mulies with one-shot kills. However, for me the limitation is NOT the speed, it has very useful speed, but it does not have the mass that would make it much more efficient/effective for even more applications. // Wouldit be good for other deer-sized game? Of course . . . and caribou, moose, probably black bear but I'd prefer: more mass, a greater selection of bullets etc.. for these apps. and larger/more difficult/possibly more dangerous game. // I have no interest anymore . . . regarding chamberings with less than 7mm/.280 for any hunting of interest to me.

Last edited:
Rebuilt a shot out 7RM to a 280AI. Couldn't be more pleased with that decision. Easy to load for it too. With a brake, grandkids love shooting it for junior deer hunts. Incredible accuracy with Barnes 145 LRX and testing some 143 Hammer Hunters next week. Best conversion decision I made. If I shoot the barrel out, I'd happily spin on another one in 280AI.

Question/options first, justification below.

.270 Win with a 1-8" twist
.270 Sherman
Both of these let me stick with the do-all Jack O'Connor caliber.

6.5-284
6.5 Sherman
More velocity, more bullet options, maybe lose some elk capability?

.280 Ackley
Can share ammo with my dad.

Other?

My Savage .270 Win has become a project gun. 25% because I want a bit better long range capability than the factory 22" sporter barrel, 75% because I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering. So know that a lot of my motivation is "because I can". Hell, setbacks in "upgrading" this gun have forced me to borrow my dad's .280 for my first elk hunt in two weeks.
Absolutely a 280 Ackley Improved. I just built one and I love it. I'm a believer in it and it appears the factories are starting to pick up production on brass and ammo. It's actually the reason I finally decided on the 280A.I. to build my hunting rifle in. I (probably very boldly) believe that in a few years the 280A.I. will be to the long action cartridge what the 6.5 Creedmoor is to the short action cartridge and that's why I built one.

I rebarreled my 270 WSM to a....270 wsm with a 1:8 twist. Rifle is a whole new animal! 156 Hammers at 3020 and 170 Bergers at 2990. Good charge of Retumbo with the 8 twist turned the ol .277 cal into a ballistician's dream. More than happy with my decision. But I also have a 280 AI! Hard to choose my favorite.

6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC are excellent all around cartridge that are overkill for elk. Personally I only hunt out to 500 yards, and at that range the 6.5 Creedmoor is more than enough for elk. As a couple hundred fps, and you've got an elk gun that will kill well at 1000 yards. (Keep in mind that the heavier 6.5 bullets have really high sectional density, which translates to great penetration for hunting thick skinned game like elk). I know a guy who dropped a 185 muley buck at 1180 yards with a 6.5-284 using a Berger hybrid.

The only overkill for elk would be a 20 mm canon. 257 and 6.5 are still on the small side for elk. There's a reason Roy Weatherby invented the 300 even though his favorite was the 257. 257 killed good, 300 killed better. For awkward angles in imperfect situations where the shot is not a 10 ring, it's always nice to have a bigger hole in an animal and more tissue damage. A boat with a big hole sinks faster than one with a little hole.

The 270 Win in 8" twist pretty much does whatever you should contemplate doing with a .277" caliber. Done.

You want more? Then you need to upgrade, which would mean a 338WM (minimal and very good), 338 PRC (nicely balanced), 338 RUM or 338 Lapua if you like to burn barrels.

7mm is 284.

7mm is .276" when converted.

In gunspeak 7mm becomes .284" because of the groove diameter, but the bore diameter (between the lands) is smaller. Kind of like how a .303 British shoots .312" bullets ..

Were I to rebarrel a .270 Win, I'd probably go .270 again... unless it was on a Remington action. If that was the case I'd be tempted to use up that extra magazine length and go 30-06/AI/Sherman.

.270 Sherman

6.5-284
6.5 Sherman

.280 Ackley

Other?

My Savage .270 Win has become a project gun. 25% because I want a bit better long range capability than the factory 22" sporter barrel, 75% because I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering. So know that a lot of my motivation is "because I can". Hell, setbacks in "upgrading" this gun have forced me to borrow my dad's .280 for my first elk hunt in two weeks.[/QUOT

.270 Sherman

6.5-284
6.5 Sherman

.280 Ackley

Other?

My Savage .270 Win has become a project gun. 25% because I want a bit better long range capability than the factory 22" sporter barrel, 75% because I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering. So know that a lot of my motivation is "because I can". Hell, setbacks in "upgrading" this gun have forced me to borrow my dad's .280 for my first elk hunt in two weeks.
If you look at Rich Shermans facebook page page you will see a pic of a red cross made with a red sharpie. Dead center is a bullet hole that took out the dot that was smaller than a pencil. ONE SHOT 149 yards. i am not trying to brag- i am telling you the 6.5 sherman will mike you so happy that you will have to sit on your hands to keep from waving at people!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.