What would you like to see in a Rimfire scope

Bman940

If you could choose the features in a new Rimfire scope what would you like to see, choose a price point too? I have chatted with a lot of guy's who like Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Target EFR scope and would like to see it in 4-12, what other suggestion's do you have?
Thanks,

This is what the Target EFR looks like. 3-9x40 AO for parallax adjustment. Fine crosshair which I like but not so fine that I lose my target against a dark background.!/4 inch adjustment's at 100 or 1/8 at 50 seems to be what a lot of guys want. The new BLACK X1000 from Nikon has MOA/MRAD reticle and matching turret. Is that of interest?
efr10221.jpg

I would like a 2.5-10x40 or a 3-15x40 with at least 100 MOA ( preferable 140 MOA) elevation travel. Also a good MOA reticle. Like the one I designed. ;) Parallax adjustment for sure. Also under 400 would be great.

Just some quick thoughts.

The market is saturated with cheap rimfire optics.
I would pay $400-$500 or more for a premium rimfire scope.
Needs very good low light optics for hunting like you find on a quality big game/target scope.
Around 4-12x40 or 3-15x40 both with parallax adjustment
Moa or mrad, but must have illuminated reticle with matching turrets.
I could also live with standard crosshair as long as it's illuminated with target turrets.

Im sure I'm asking to much for a rimfire scope but that's what I want.

The Target EFR looks like plastic to me. It would have to be in the $100 range to get my interest. I just bought a 2-16x44 Accushot UTG. It has everything listed above. It looks like a high quality scope. It comes with rings and flip up covers. Caught it on sale for $250. I have not mounted it yet so we will see.

Last edited:
Geo, trust me, not plastic. Stop by and pick one up to get a better feel of the scope and it's features. PROSTAFF glass is very bright and the adjustments are positive and repeatable. Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I passed on all the suggestions.

Bart I have one of your scopes and it is a lot of scope for the money. Like you said the glass is great. I bought the UTG because it was the only scope I could find with all the options I wanted. I am concerned about the glass and turrets on the UTG. Hope Nikon listens and adds these options to the line. I certainly would not mind paying more for these options and your glass.

Geo, trust me, not plastic. Stop by and pick one up to get a better feel of the scope and it's features. PROSTAFF glass is very bright and the adjustments are positive and repeatable. Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I passed on all the suggestions.

Are they open to other suggestions? I have used there scopes rangefinders and binos.

NIKON needs to ditch the crap plastic on their scopes, I'm sorry but the old monarchs were hands and feet above the new ones (quality wise, no comment on glass). Even the 1st gen prostaff's were light yrs better than the ones available today. FOV seems super restricted too. I'm done w/ nikon until they produce a better product, until then I'll shop the old monarch or old buckmaster.

morning, I put a bushnell 10x 6500 on my custom 10/22. fully adjustable.
super clear, instant imaging. very good optics. Thk. U

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.