What would you build with a spare S/A kicking around?

I like the sounds of the 7mm-08ai but just don't have much use for it. I'm thinking it's going stay as a 6mm and most likely the 6x47 lapua
You could always mix it up a bit, and go .260 Ackley Improved... The true king and reigning champ of the .473" bolt faced short-action 6.5's. Stick you a 26" heavy (Rem Varmint/Sendero contour) 1:8 twist 5R rifled Bartlein barrel on it, and shoot the Berger 140 gr Elite Hunters out of it. They have a .606 G1 BC... That would be your target/hunting setup. :D

http://www.bergerbullets.com/new-berger-elite-hunter-offerings-now-available/

Sounds like it should be heavy then. If it's not going to be a hunter, take advantage of 28" and 7+ lbs of barrel.

my heavy barreled .260 is by far my favorite gun to shoot. So much so that I am contemplating leaving the spotting scope and packing my heavy gun to chase mule deer in October.

I'm looking at something still able to carry around. Looking at a 26-28" medium palma contour I think. 1:7.5btwist bartlein barrel

You could always mix it up a bit, and go .260 Ackley Improved... The true king and reigning champ of the .473" bolt faced short-action 6.5's. Stick you a 26" heavy (Rem Varmint/Sendero contour) 1:8 twist 5R rifled Bartlein barrel on it, and shoot the Berger 140 gr Elite Hunters out of it. They have a .606 G1 BC... That would be your target/hunting setup. :D

http://www.bergerbullets.com/new-berger-elite-hunter-offerings-now-available/

I currently have a 260. Rem on a stiller tac 30 action, 26" sendero contour, benchmark 1:8 twist barrel with a jec muzzle brake, jewel trigger sitting inside a mcmillan A5. Pushing the 140 hybrids between 2870-2945fps, and the 140 hunting vld at 2890 fps shot my best 3 shot group at 640 yards. Total fluke of 0.908"

I'm looking at something still able to carry around. Looking at a 26-28" medium palma contour I think. 1:7.5btwist bartlein barrel

Sounds about right. Mine is a 28" bartlein #9. It's not THAT heavy, coming in at 14lbs, but it would take some motivation to carry it for several days.

I shoot with a lot of guys that can't decide between 6mm and 6.5. it is a hair here or there, but pretty much dealers choice. Next year there will be 3 6.5x47's, coming from a 6 creed, 6xc and .243. If you can get the 115 dtacs to 3050, they are pretty slick little bullets. I still prefer my 142 smk's. I may chop the barrel to 22" and go .260 ai over the winter.

Sounds about right. Mine is a 28" bartlein #9. It's not THAT heavy, coming in at 14lbs, but it would take some motivation to carry it for several days.

I shoot with a lot of guys that can't decide between 6mm and 6.5. it is a hair here or there, but pretty much dealers choice. Next year there will be 3 6.5x47's, coming from a 6 creed, 6xc and .243. If you can get the 115 dtacs to 3050, they are pretty slick little bullets. I still prefer my 142 smk's. I may chop the barrel to 22" and go .260 ai over the winter.

Well my original want for the new rifle was because I wanted a rifle to shoot along side my 260. Rem when barrel was cooling, test out first hand the 6 vs 6.5, have a back up for when buddies want to try some LR. I'm hoping on the 105's I think instead of the 115's just due to availability and such. But definitely give them a try. Talking to the guys selling me the barrel just to see if I should go 1:7.5 or 1:7

You prefer the 6.5x47 over those 6mm's you have?

I only own a .260. I have shot all of the 6's above, the creed more than the others. For the dtacs, 7 twist is what they tell me. For the 105's, 7.5. at least with the 6creed, i think he was having pressure spikes and irratic groups. sticky bolt, flat primers, the whole works. (Maybe his barrel just didn't like those bullets)

I, for one, don't like the 6.5x47 because it is a little anemic compared to the rest. But at 2650-2700 fps and bergers of your choice a guy can shoot 2500+ rounds on the barrel. Also, the guy that wins most of our matches shoots 6.5x47.

I still like my rifle over the others. I have one win on a day I was shooting lights out, lots of seconds and thirds. I am trying to get into a prs style match, so am invisioning radical changes. For one, I am single loading now and have all the pieces to mag feed, just not the time to assemble. I am staying with 6.5 though.

I only own a .260. I have shot all of the 6's above, the creed more than the others. For the dtacs, 7 twist is what they tell me. For the 105's, 7.5. at least with the 6creed, i think he was having pressure spikes and irratic groups. sticky bolt, flat primers, the whole works. (Maybe his barrel just didn't like those bullets)

I, for one, don't like the 6.5x47 because it is a little anemic compared to the rest. But at 2650-2700 fps and bergers of your choice a guy can shoot 2500+ rounds on the barrel. Also, the guy that wins most of our matches shoots 6.5x47.

I still like my rifle over the others. I have one win on a day I was shooting lights out, lots of seconds and thirds. I am trying to get into a prs style match, so am invisioning radical changes. For one, I am single loading now and have all the pieces to mag feed, just not the time to assemble. I am staying with 6.5 though.

That's good to know! When building the 260. Rem I wanted a 6.5x47 but was talked out of it by a few people and I could never shake the curiosity of this round. And is the reason for the 6x47 lapua? If you were to choose a 6mm which one did you prefer the most and why?

image.jpeg
I put a 6-47 lapua together on a stiller short predator and 1-8 brux and it shoots the 105's great. Have not loaded for top velocity, but 2980 fps is shooting well.590 yrds. I like the lapua case, haven't messed with the creedmore.

That's good to know! When building the 260. Rem I wanted a 6.5x47 but was talked out of it by a few people and I could never shake the curiosity of this round. And is the reason for the 6x47 lapua? If you were to choose a 6mm which one did you prefer the most and why?

My buddies are convinced that the x47 lapua is more forgiving and has larger nodes than the rest. There is no arguing with the creedmore and it has a little more oomph to push the bigger dtacs. if you can find them. I think going down to 6mm may be where the lapua shines through. It's smaller capacity lets you load a higher density with 105's without pushing pressure limits. Great brass, the only problem is you need small primers. But I think that is common with all the 6mm cartridges mentioned.

My buddies are convinced that the x47 lapua is more forgiving and has larger nodes than the rest. There is no arguing with the creedmore and it has a little more oomph to push the bigger dtacs. if you can find them. I think going down to 6mm may be where the lapua shines through. It's smaller capacity lets you load a higher density with 105's without pushing pressure limits. Great brass, the only problem is you need small primers. But I think that is common with all the 6mm cartridges mentioned.
What's the problem with small primers? Just strengthens the brass doesn't jt

I'd also vote you should get a 6mm. A option to consider would be a 243 AI. Brass is every where and the numbers are impressive. The x47 is a good option but it doesn't have the selection of brass like the creedmoor or 243

I'd also vote you should get a 6mm. A option to consider would be a 243 AI. Brass is every where and the numbers are impressive. The x47 is a good option but it doesn't have the selection of brass like the creedmoor or 243
I love the 243. Win. Think it's a fantastic caliber. But I won't even consider it on this build. I currently shoot a custom 260. Rem which is phenomenal. My only complaint is, it likes to be shot .05 thou off lands, which for the hybrids is longer then mag length, amax can be mag feed, and vld's just barely tough mag have had 2 problems with rounds leaving mag.

I really want a round that is ballistically comparable, but shorter over length! Like previously mentioned, strongly debated the 6.5x47 before chambering in 260. And ever since then I've had an itch for the x47 series calibers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts