What would you build with a spare S/A kicking around?

If the decision were mine, I would have no problem. I would build a 358 Winchester. It would appear to be a good addition to the stable of rifles you already own. I am fortunate to have rifles from 223 to 45-70's including a 9.3x62 Mauser, 300 Win Mag, 6.5 CM, 7mm-08 and several others. My current Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 358 Win is my favorite all around rifle (caliber). I like it so much that I am actually looking at another 358 Win in a Browning lever action. Your SA would be a perfect action to build a 358 Win.

Never ever gave this much thought till I read another post here. Now that I have read it ad the options out there I would maybe look at a 6.5WSM. How ever I was informed that would call for a medium length action maybe because of the length of 6.5 bullets

Never mind my post I now see that won't work for you. Have you thought about a .338 cal. the name of the cartrage escapes me right now. This would change up what you have now quite nicely.

What variety of 7mm do you have? If its a magnum I'd recommend the 7mm-08 or the AI version for your new build. Great versatility from this round. Wild Bill is thinking of the 338 Federal, which is another good option along with the 358 Win. I shy away from the 6mms as big game rounds. I've shot 2 deer and an elk with a 6mm Remington and the results were not great. All animals were recovered but the elk made it far enough to be shot by another hunter, and both deer also went quite a ways after being shot (both heart shots coincidentally). I know some people have success with them but my experiences tell me to go bigger for deer. If this will be a predator/varmint gun or something for shooting paper a 6mm would be a good choice. You may also consider a 22-250 with a nice tight twist for shooting heavy bullets.

What is the hottest 0.473" bolt face 7 or 6.5mm caliber that will still fit a short action w/ the heavier bullets?

What is the hottest 0.473" bolt face 7 or 6.5mm caliber that will still fit a short action w/ the heavier bullets?
284 Winchester would be my best guess. There are a couple of slightly improved versions out there like the Shehane that are a wee bit hotter. I'm not sure if it beats the 7-08 AI by much, if any. Same could be said for the 260 AI vs 6.5-284. If you use a longer action and throat the chamber out a bit the 284 case wins pretty easily.

Either a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor with a fast twist of course. Case length is optimal for a short action with your bolt face.

This rifle won't be used too much for hunting. More so target and plinking I guess. It will come out for some coyote hunts but most likely no much more then that.

Unfortunately where I am located you can't hunt with any caliber larger then .275 dia (which is a going problem on weather you can or cannot use a 270. Win as it's a .277dia, but ministry keeps giving us different answers), so all of my deer hunting is done with 260 rem, shotgun, muzzleloader, bow. Moose hunting and bear is taken care of with the 7mm, the previous 300 and will replace it with a new one soon enough.

I like the sounds of the 7mm-08ai but just don't have much use for it. I'm thinking it's going stay as a 6mm and most likely the 6x47 lapua

Sounds like it should be heavy then. If it's not going to be a hunter, take advantage of 28" and 7+ lbs of barrel.

my heavy barreled .260 is by far my favorite gun to shoot. So much so that I am contemplating leaving the spotting scope and packing my heavy gun to chase mule deer in October.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.