What would be the Ultimate Ballistics Tool

Bull45cal.

I was reading an article covering the iPhone app "Ballistic" today, and it got my attention. In reading the "ballistic" page that describes the many features that the program has, and what it can do in combination with all the features of an iPhone, I became very interested. I checked, and I can't get broadband/3G coverage where I would actually be using this thing, so great features such as location specific weather data (Web based) would not be avalible. I've been for a while trying to put together a "Tool" that would compile all the environmental factors (LOS Angle, Wind Speed/Direction, Altitude, Temp., Relative Humidity, …) a shooter needs to know, along with a few user inputs (specific load info), into a ballistics program that would produce a "Shooting Solution." I would like to hear from you guys as to what this tool should combine, and/or measure. What do you think this tool should consist of? lightbulb

I'm using a GPS based ranging system for more accurate long range calculation, knowing that a Laser Range Finder's accuracy diminishes as the distance increases. Of course this GPS based system means that you have to have marked the location of several key positions within your field of view. Needless to say, the GPS function of this tool is a given.

Last edited:
Re: The Ultimate Ballistics Tool

You might want to also consider Bulletflite instead of Ballistic for iPhone or iPod Touch. The link is to Knight's Armament.

Bulletflight 2.0.0

On another website, in a head to head comparison, the Bulletflite program came out slightly more accurate than Ballistic, and has coriolis calculation, etc. However, you'd run into the same issue on automatic weather input with Bulletflite. You can enter the weather info manually if you have it (temperature and pressure).

However, even though Bulletflite is slightly more accurate at long ranges, Ballistic is probably close enough. Take a look at the screenshots of both and see which screen layouts you like better.

Last edited:
Freelunch,

Thank you for your reply, but I would like to know what things you think should be measured, or combined into the same device to make the Ultimate Ballistics Tool.

Shane

After detemining target distance, vertical angle, and air density the largest remaining unknown in long range shooting is wind deflection. What does your ballistics tool do to assist in determinng downrange crosswind components? It seems to me the "Ultimate Ballistics Tool" is still sorely in need of research and development.

I would agree. Much research and developement is needed to create the "Ultimate Ballistics Tool." I am only tring to findout if some thing like this exist, and is readily available. Also, if it is not, what needs to be included to create and test said device(s). I agree, that once all the environmental factors are accounted for, the wind deflection along the flight path is the thing to deal with. The only way to determine that will happen to the bullet before it is shot, is to create a model of the environment, stream measurements of the wind direction and speed to some device, and calculate all this "real time." This is something that could be done, but the terain modeling alone is far more than anyone but LE and Military would most likely be willing to do. It doesn't work real well for LRH considering the time involved, unless you are just into doing that kind of stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Shane

Last edited:
You know, If I could launch laser-guided woodchuck missiles(LWMs, 'LoMers'), I would just miss out on most of what HUNTING is about anyway..

But an ultimate 'ballistic' tool IMO would present inside scopes, and alliviate the need for any other devices.
To begin, I'd like to see focus prisms incorporated into glass etched -projected reticles, combined with calibrated micrometer side focus. Now I need no LRF
Servo controlled reticle projection, programmed with a hand held unit, and recieving inputs from the side focus, an internal laser wind determining thingy we're headed for above, and on board sensors for pressure and temp(at least). That otta make the rest too easy.

Take alot of resources to get there......

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.