What would cause this on the rifling?

Leaf Litter

I purchased a used barrel and recently bore scoped it. What would cause these marks?

My only guesses were issues with the reamer at the factory or something being pushed in there to clear a squib?

Attachments

• IMG_20240224_110956.jpg
    IMG_20240224_110956.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20240224_110958.jpg
    IMG_20240224_110958.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
In general, it looks like typical tool chatter marks. What seems more concerning is the appearance of "chipping" that appears to be limited to the left side of the land.

Is this a 5R barrel? It looks like the left side of the land is tapered/chamfered (maybe misinterpreting what I see). Perhaps just a bad blank?

How does it shoot? I'd think it would be a pain to clean.

I never shot it, I bought it as a backup and didn't end up needing it. It's a stock stainless Tikka take-off barrel, so whatever rifling they use. The two other tikka barrels I have are smooth and flawless inside, so this was surprising

It's chatter from the button that did the rifling.
A lot of it depends on how new the button is and what lubricant is used.

Some of my carbide inserts on the lathe actually work better after taking a diamond file to them and slightly breaking the edge.

I have seen a video on YouTube of a custom barrel maker that found the best lubricant for them to do button rifling was a bar of Ivory soap.

I found the video again. I mis spoke. It is a soap. Just not necessarily Ivory. It's heated to liquid form. Flushed through the bore. Then let dry.

Last edited:
It's chatter from the button that did the rifling.
A lot of it depends on how new the button is and what lubricant is used.

Some of my carbide inserts on the lathe actually work better after taking a diamond file to them and slightly breaking the edge.

I have seen a video on YouTube of a custom barrel maker that found the best lubricant for them to do button rifling was a bar of Ivory soap.

I found the video again. I mis spoke. It is a soap. Just not necessarily Ivory. It's heated to liquid form. Flushed through the bore. Then let dry.

Tikka barrels are cold-hammer forged, not button rifled.

If I had to guess, it would be chatter marks from the drilling process prior to hammer forging.

My guess is reamer was packing with chips and not getting flushed out. You can see the perpendicular grooves appear and disappear as the reamer advanced. The same can also be said about chips sticking on part of the cutter edge.
The rifling process won't correct reamer marks except where the grooves are formed.

It is NOT from the button. It is the feed rate of the reamer used after gun drilling the bore. It is not chatter as some like to think. When a button is pushed or pulled through the barrel it usually irons out the marks. When it does not it is from a larger area that is not swaged by the button. On a cut rifled barrel it will be lapped out. And higher quality button barrels are lapped before the button is run through so the marks will not be present.