what would be good group from prone?

rufous

I am curious what would be considered good shooting from the prone position. I am shooting a sporter weight (9.5# with scope) 300 Win Mag with my Harris bipod. I am not using a rear bag. I have tried one and overall it does not seem to help. Anyway today I shot 9 shots (3 groups of 3 shots with cooling in between) at 400 yards with the 180 Swift Scirocco. 6 shots were in 4.15", 8 shots were in 6" and all 9 shots were in 8.4". So 8 out of the 9 were in 1.5 MOA from field conditions. To me that seems pretty good. Certainly good enough for taking out a deer at that range. The main question I have is if you can shoot 0.5" 3 shot groups from a bench at 100 yards what could you do prone for 9 shots at 400 yards? Can many of you keep 9 shots in 1 MOA or less from prone at 400 yards? Just wondering how I am doing. Thanks, Rufous.

Rufous

If I understand your question, how much do my benchrest groups open up if I shoot prone-bipod and in my case...with a rear rest. I am only a mere mortal and others on this forum do better...but I would see my groups open up about 1/8 moa to 1/4 moa maximum over what a particular rifle will do off a benchrest. So a 1/2 moa capable rifle (from the bench) would be 5/8 to 6/8 moa from the prone position, disregarding wind.

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Mr. Rufous,
I,ve done that test several times at 300yds, 500m and 1000yds with rifles with free floated barrels. As long as I used a good toe bag and had a comfortable pad to shoot from, my prone fired groups with the Harris measured the same as my bench fired groups,with conditions being equal. Bench shooting is easier, as my neck does not get tired from holding up my head.{must be from all the massive brain matter in there!}
grin.gif
grin.gif

We find that if we are shooting a lot our prone groups are close but not quite as tight or consistent to bench rested groups. I do not believe that anyone can shoot as well without rear support as with sandbags or sandsocks under the toe. There is a definite curve, your collar bone and neck muscles have to condition to prone shooting, as well as a few other parts of your body. Have seen some sub 1/2 minute groups from prone, but the guys had been doing a lot of shooting - sub MOA would be real good for most shooters.
Your question is a good one, some guys have no idea how accurate prone shooting can be. But when it comes down to getting the very most of our shooting systems the bench and pedastal rules.
Real challenge is to work at getting MOA or sub 2 minute accuracy from other field positions - as in sitting with a bipod rest.

Ian,

I saw in Varmint Hunter Magazine a few years back a sitting position to use with a Harris Extendable Swivel Bipod that I found to be just as accurate as prone for me. The trouble with it is, Your target had better pose for a while to get in position because it's very difficult to change. It requires a strap of course. I shoot right handed. I'll try to explain.

Sit with your knees up at right angles or perhaps a little more. Face approx 50-60degrees right of the intended target. Loosen the strap on your gun so there's about a foot of extra. Take your left arm and go from right to left through the strap and under the gun, strap up to your tricep. Now go under your left knee with your left arm and grab the strap from the other side. Remember, you need the long bipod. Rest the buttstock/toe on your right knee, Take the recoil with your right bicep. (use a small cal). This I find to be about as close to bench shooting as there is. Like I said, you're so contorted and tight though, it's impossible to shoot at a moving target. When I say moving, I mean 1 step every 30 seconds. Getting compfortable on target takes real practice.

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: 4mesh063 ]

[ 02-09-2003: Message edited by: 4mesh063 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.