What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
Kuiu one man single wall for me. It's been good for me in rain and snow within reason. Condensation is typic for style.

IMG_20191015_094719655.jpg

IMG_20191017_102956492.jpg

A 10x13 cooking tarp and 13x16 teepee pitch for sleeping and gear. About 3 1/2# with stakes, snakeskins and cordage. I set them up 2 days prior to season opening. A good thing cause it started snowing and never quit.

Because of Forest Service fireban, no fired allowed. At night, I'd heat the tent with a single burner in 5 minutes, change clothes and hit the down bag.
Making a pot of coffee each morning warmed the tent enough that I could crawl out of that warm bag and go hunting.

If I'm solo I use my Sierra Design Solo Assault Bivy- this is a great little 4 season one man deal. SD designed this for testing with Special Forces for winter work. I managed to get two of them. They are totally weather tight and WARM in cold climates.
sZ93K48.jpg

If it's two of us- I take my old North Face Aerohead 4 season tent. A little cramped but gets the job done. I've had this tent for 30 years.

P2Kwv9t.jpg

Under 5lbs. My North Face -20 bag + this shelter comes in right at 9lbs. That's my severe winter stuff.

This guy did a good review on them.

Last edited:
Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

Well, I've tried them all. What works best for me is a lightweight 3 season FREESTANDING tent. I like some of the other ways, as in tarps, bivy's etc. but for 2 pounds, you can get a pretty good secure 3 season shelter/tent and for me, it has got to be freestanding. Terra Nova solar competition one person tent.

Randy
I use a MSR two person tent. In addition to hunting I am also a mountain climber. Mountain Hardware also makes a fantastic tent

One of the Boy Scout troops I've worked with uses a 3 man Mountain Hardware tent. They've had them maybe 8-9 years and they get some serious use and abuse- these guys are active outdoors year round.

Under 5lbs. My North Face -20 bag + this shelter comes in right at 9lbs. That's my severe winter stuff.

This guy did a good review on them.

@Threerun, the civilian version of this tent is the Sierra Designs Iota. It's my go to backpacking tent for when I'm unlikely to encounter wet, PNW snow. Lots of room, light weight, and strong. I've used it in the PNW, New Zealand, and Colorado on hikes usually above 6000' in the PNW. Hands down my favorite of my seven backpacking tents.

The tent on the right is my Iota in Horseshoe Basin in the Pasayten up near Canada.
iota_horseshoe_basin.jpg

@Threerun, the civilian version of this tent is the Sierra Designs Iota. It's my go to backpacking tent for when I'm unlikely to encounter wet, PNW snow. Lots of room, light weight, and strong. I've used it in the PNW, New Zealand, and Colorado on hikes usually above 6000' in the PNW. Hands down my favorite of my seven backpacking tents.

The tent on the right is my Iota in Horseshoe Basin in the Pasayten up near Canada.
View attachment 203466
I wonder if there are any fabric/pole differences? Mine is a total beast for winter camping. It's had some snow load on it with no problems.

I wonder if there are any fabric/pole differences? Mine is a total beast for winter camping. It's had some snow load on it with no problems.

There is some fabric difference between the two. The Iota is a double wall with a nylon rain fly and a LOT more mesh on the tent itself. The poles look the same between the two and the footprint looks identical. Given how this tent has performed during some severe mountain storms, I would imagine it would hold up to some serious snow. I just also have a two man, four season, Sierra Designs tent that I'd rather use if I know the weather will be nasty up high.

I'll be staying in my Iota again this weekend on a deer season scout trip. :)