What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

However, I do think this material is puncture proof enough for my use. All my tents have floors, if not an additional 'floor saver' underneath and I spend some time making sure that nothing under the tent will damage the floor. Your situation may vary...:) Sounds like you end up on the rocks, in which case this pad may not be for you. I suppose if we were real men, we'd cut some pine boughs and make a bed out of those, huh? :D:rolleyes:

Yeah, well as Toby Keith says, "I ain't as good as I once was...." I'll pass on the pine bed.
I'm thinking of going with the light weight thermarests and a tyvek groundsheet. That should do it with the additon of a tent floor. That weight and comfort looks real attractive.

Randy

It is certainly very comfortable. All three of my Neo Airs have been...to the point that within a couple of minutes of lying on them for the first time just to see what they feel like, I realize that I'm starting to doze off.

It does have the 'crinkly' material, but so does the top of the Neo Air All Season and though I thought that would not work well for me initially, I've found it's not an issue.

One thing about the Trekker and All-Season--both of mine, though supposed to be 20" x 72", are actually 75" long. The XLite appears to actually be 72" long. So, if you are a bit taller than six foot, that 75" length of the other two would be nice.

I seconde chad. Have one, it is the best I have used. Two years ago the ground ended up forming icicles ground up. Never got wet or cold if you can stay on top of it.

Randy,
look at exped. I have the downmat ul7 and the regular ul7. R value of 6 on the ul downmat, 3" thick and 20 oz. You can also purchase a slip cover from exped. I am trying that out tonight along with my new quilt and hilleberg....we will see if my choices are sound. I will report back in a few days.

Randy,
look at exped. I have the downmat ul7 and the regular ul7. R value of 6 on the ul downmat, 3" thick and 20 oz. You can also purchase a slip cover from exped. I am trying that out tonight along with my new quilt and hilleberg....we will see if my choices are sound. I will report back in a few days.

Thomas, I've pretty much got it narrowed down between the exped and the neoair.
I stopped into one of our local backpacking stores about a week ago and looked at the neoair x lite. I kinda liked it but man, is it noisy. I'm not sure I could sleep on it.
I did talk to Tim and I am going to go with one of his quilts. Let me know what you think of it and I see you got a hilleberg?? You lucky devil---which one did you go with and why??? I've been looking at that soulo. Kurt Raciot at Stone Glacier packs uses that one quite extensively and he ought know as he is a mountain hunting stud and he has used about everything. The weights alittle heavy for me but its bombproof.

Randy

Thomas, I've pretty much got it narrowed down between the exped and the neoair.
I stopped into one of our local backpacking stores about a week ago and looked at the neoair x lite. I kinda liked it but man, is it noisy. I'm not sure I could sleep on it.
I did talk to Tim and I am going to go with one of his quilts. Let me know what you think of it and I see you got a hilleberg?? You lucky devil---which one did you go with and why??? I've been looking at that soulo. Kurt Raciot at Stone Glacier packs uses that one quite extensively and he ought know as he is a mountain hunting stud and he has used about everything. The weights alittle heavy for me but its bombproof.

Randy

I thought the Neo Air All Season might be too noisy as I tend to be a light sleeper, but I had no issues with it. The Xlite is about the same. And, it's way lighter than the Expeds. I don't care for the longitudinal air chambers of the Expeds. They seem to roll up on me from side to side an don't seem stable, unlike the Neo Airs... And take into account the warrantys as well. The Expeds are also significantly heavier and much larger when packed than the Neo Airs. Each of my Neo Airs fit in this 3.75" x 10" stuffsack that Thermarest makes separately: http://www.altrec.com/thermarest/fa...7&origin=pla&gclid=CL6N3vqO2rYCFep7QgodAWwAWQ

I thought the Neo Air All Season might be too noisy as I tend to be a light sleeper, but I had no issues with it. The Xlite is about the same. And, it's way lighter than the Expeds. I don't care for the longitudinal air chambers of the Expeds. They seem to roll up on me from side to side an don't seem stable, unlike the Neo Airs... And take into account the warrantys as well. The Expeds are also significantly heavier and much larger when packed than the Neo Airs. Each of my Neo Airs fit in this 3.75" x 10" stuffsack that Thermarest makes separately: Thermarest Fast and Light Stuff Sack - FREE SHIPPING

Well then, the problems solved---I'll just have to buy both.:D

Randy

My opinion is that increased R-value can only help, and never hurt (except for weight). I ran a Neoair XTherm Ultralight last fall and it sounded like I was sleeping on a potato chip bag every time I moved (to the point of waking me up), my shoulders bottomed out when I rolled over, and I had to add air every night. I would gladly trade ounces for more restful sleep so I traded that out for a Sea to Summit Ether Lite Extreme. I haven't taken it out overnight yet, but it's super quiet and double the thickness so bottoming it out is no longer an issue.

ThermaRest Uberlite for me.
I have been using it for 3 season going on my 4th.
Warmf to weight ratio cannot be beat.
I weight 205lb and 6' tall. I can sleep on my side and do not feel the ground.

You just have to be conscious of where you place it to prevent puncture.
I usually scrape the ground and put down the tarp that I carry for day.