What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 41 8.1%
  • Tarp

Votes: 65 12.8%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 75 14.8%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 87 17.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 112 22.1%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 83 16.4%
  • Tipi

Votes: 44 8.7%

• Total voters

Litehiker

Chiundits (the Brit equivalent of Merrill's Marauders in WW II Burma)

The SACRP 1 is what I wished I was in when I endured 24 hours in my Moment DW - or my own SCARP 2 for that matter. The SCARP 1 is great for a snowy day with the optional Crossing Poles.

Eric B.

Troutslayer2

I have been using single wall 3 and 4 season backpacking tents but I am going to try a hot tent this season. I must be getting old because the idea of waking up in single digit rifle season temps and crawling out of a bag and into frozen solid boots just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

Litehiker

Troutslayer,
You could not need to "crawl... into frozen solid boots if you:
1. Buy boots with a removable liner, like felt pac boots.
2. Wear 3 mm seam sealed closed cell neoprene divers' socks (US Divers brand) over thin poly liners These are VBLs (Vapor Barrie Liners) to keep the liners dry all day and thus warm all day.
3. Remove the liners and store in the foot of your sleeping bag overnight.
4. Remove the neoprene VBL socks, turn inside-out and let dry for 15 minutes then tor in foot of sleeping bag.
5. Put stinky, wet poly liner socks in a ZipLoc bag and don clean poly socks
6. Don heavy wool "sleep socks" and get some zzzs.

NOW you can have a morning with warm feet!

Eric B.

Troutslayer2

Troutslayer,
You could not need to "crawl... into frozen solid boots if you:
1. Buy boots with a removable liner, like felt pac boots.
2. Wear 3 mm seam sealed closed cell neoprene divers' socks (US Divers brand) over thin poly liners These are VBLs (Vapor Barrie Liners) to keep the liners dry all day and thus warm all day.
3. Remove the liners and store in the foot of your sleeping bag overnight.
4. Remove the neoprene VBL socks, turn inside-out and let dry for 15 minutes then tor in foot of sleeping bag.
5. Put stinky, wet poly liner socks in a ZipLoc bag and don clean poly socks
6. Don heavy wool "sleep socks" and get some zzzs.

NOW you can have a morning with warm feet!

Eric B.
Yeah but who backpacks in pac boots? I think my feet would sweat like crazy in neoprene liners but maybe that would work for some. This season I started looking into the overboots that they use on Everest but I never ended up getting a pair. I think the hot tent is going to work great, not just for warm feet but warm everything including coffee.

Litehiker

True, your feet do sweat but you don't notice it. All you notice is warmth. Many people including mountaineers and backcountry ski campers have been using not only VBL socks but entire VBL clothing over a light poly base layer in very frigid temperatures. And some use a sleeping bag VBL fo keep it from getting heavier and damper every night. "Airing out" a sleeping bag in freezing weather is not an option B/C the moisture freezes before it can dry.

Who backpacks in felt pacs? Well if it's cold enough you do. Otherwise you need boots like my plastic backcountry ski boots with removable liners. Sure, a hot tent will help dry out boots but they won't dry completely and will be colder each day as the insulation gets wetter.

You can not use VBL socks and suffer or use them and have warm feet all the time.
BTW, those Everest boots are expensive as he!!.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.