what to shoot at ?(targets)

locotrician

Invisible
After you get all your setting for drop and windage what do yo guys shoot at then ? still shoot paper ? the only place around here i can shoot long distance is a range and it has practically every rock already taken out ? do u drag steel targets to the range with you ? just looking for some ideas im not real creative.....thanks

Usually steel. Paper if it's being scored or I'm working up a load.

Keep it interesting but make sure to clean up after yourself. 2-liter plastic bottles are fun starting at 500yds, inside of that stick with the 20oz size.

Before I made some steel targets I used to use balloons. I used to used to use my air compressor at home to blow them up and put them in a large trash bag. They are light weight and this makes them much easier to lug around if you have to walk the targets out on the range and they are easy to clean up after once your are finished shooting.

David

The bad thing about clay targets is that they stick around for a LONG time unless you use the newer biodegradable ones. Plus I heard that they are toxic to hogs....

The place that's closest and easiest for me to go to is only about 150y. I like to shoot pistol brass @100y. Beyond that, I shoot the aluminum Budweiser bottles. They're red and made of heavy aluminum, so they aren't obliterated like a can is.... even with varmint bullets. I'm going to try for one at 1000y this summer and will let you know how that works out for me. I'm also going to try 300y egg shooting with my varmint rifle this summer.

Coyoter

We just starded shooting Bowling pins we bought 12 for 12 dollars and they seem to last forever and they don't break about so clean up is pretty easy. The biggest gun we have shot at one is .30-06 not to big but still holds up.

Hope this helps
PaulB.

I like shooting bowling pins also I have shot them with a 416 rem mag and they still hold together. I have some that I bought 4 yrs ago they are getting a little on the thin side but still work.

adam

I like the full size deer paper targets (get them at walmart), they let you try a fake deer before you take a pop at a real one (or in the off season...). I killed a few on the weekend at 800 yards...

I also like detergent bottles (tide). They are brite colors and really stand out, just make sure it's actually empty before you fill it with water...or you might not want to come home...

Good Lord--someone has found a substance that is toxic to hogs? If you lived in South Texas, you could make a billion dollars. :D

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.