What size steel targets?

My 24×24 is 1/4" at 800 and beyond it may dent a little but no holes. I weld 2 pieces of 3/4 " pipe into a T shape then slip them over 5/8 rebar. Bend the bar into a U shape with the Ts inside of bends. Cut 2 more rebar for legs to lean U back on. You can hang chains or whatever to hold targets. It's cheap and works well. Bar lengths can be 12' for U, 4×4×4 and 2 4' legs etc...

I agree with MH WASH...the ring is very satisfying/ instant gratitude, but a clean miss is VERY frustrating. I like putting two sizes (MOA and 2-3MOA) up at longer range to catch wind, then move to the MOA once I have a handle on it.
Great idea for those (of us) that aren't yet up to 1moa at longer ranges. Says the old guy with failing eyesight.

Its very windy here in the High Plains of Colo, My thoughts buy as big as you can afford and carry, lot more fun if you can paint a bullseye and work your way to it on steel rather than trying to spot hits in the grass,dirt.18x20-24 is perfect for a 700- 1000+ yds, hardest read is windage, specially with smaller calibers ,Im looking for a 3 foot or so for a mile shot using a 6.5, it would suck if I had a 12inch gong unless I hit it LOL , of course

Buddy of mine came up with a full sheet of 3/8 steel plate. Should be able to get several targets out of that. Now just have to find a way to get it cut. Gonna check with the ag guys at school and see if they'll cut it for me.

Found some old galvanized fence pipe out behind my barn. Cut that into 2 sets of 3' and 4' legs and cross pieces. So now just need some way to hang the targets once they're cut.

Old conveyor belt or something like that works well. You can shoot through it without it braking. I've heard old disk harrow disk work well and have a sweet ring.

I like to get old farm discs and hang them with conveyor belt strips or semi truck mud flap material. if I can drive to where im setting up I like to use the biggest steel plate I can handle so I can see everything that hits when testing. (mine is about 28 inch). I like to use the smaller farm discs when I walk out and hang them in trees and such. a single length of chain works ok as its light and kind of centers itself.

Be sure to get holes cut for hanging hardware. First ones I made I welded on a piece of chain. After 50-60 hits the weld breaks off. Kind of impressive when you hit it and knock it down, but sucks at the same time.

You guys have helped tremendously. Thanks for your help.
Haven't looked at eBay yet, but have checked out amazon and found some decent options.
Just didn't know really what sizes to start with.

Any ideas on cheap/easy portable stands would be appreciated now. The pipe idea looks good. Not sure costs on that though without finding some scrap maybe.
google The Last Stand been using this for years.

What do you think about some old fire hose?
Seems to me it may work?

I've heard fire hose is a good choice if you have it available. Another option, which I mentioned earlier, is the sidewalls of old tires (my tire place gave me as many as I wanted for free). If you stay out of the steel belt, they are easy to cut with a "hunting" sized knife. It helps to have someone pull the tire apart as you cut.

Cut the wall out, cut it in quarter circles, drill for bolts, ready to rock. It will take millions of shots, and it's stiff, so it keeps the plates from swinging wildly when hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts