What to do with older 22-250

....selling guns is a last resort did it once.still regret it...wont do it again.....rebarrel to something you have a use for..... if your not up for a project and Better yet, how bad are the groups? Something thats opened up from .2 MOA to 1 MOA, while not being acceptable to you may be perfect to sell at a discount ( with a disclaimer as to why your sending in down the road) to a junior shooter/hunter you know could use a hand getting into our sports.....shooting sports need all the new blood we can get especially with the cost of entry even on factory rack grade stuff....youll regret that way less than dumping it at a pawn shop...and recoup some cost...Not really an answer to your question, but just a thought.

I have a Remington 700 22-250 that was purchased in 2003. This is one of Remington's many mass production rifles that are so so. Sometimes they group and sometimes they don't type of rifle. The barrel on this rifle is shot out and doesn't group anymore. Here is my question for you all. I cant decide if its worth it to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled in a different caliber like .243 or 6 creed or just start over and get what I can out of it from a pawn shop? Would you just sell it or what caliber would you choose if you rebarreled it? Thanks for your input
Im in same boat, same thoughts.
Ive decided to go to 6br with a fast twist to shoot heavier bullets and still have good barrel life (i shoot a lot.). if I wsnted a wild cat, 6 dasher.

Everyone has offered their opinions on what they would do.
Question is... What do you want to shoot with it? What did you do with it before it got to be Worn Out? If you liked that 22-250 caliber. Then just put a new barrel on it in same 22-250 and carry on.
If you want a new caliber then take one of these options suggested by others.Its your choice
Yes that something I've really been thinking about. A 22-250 was my dream caliber as a teenager. Anymore I'm not one to save the pelt of a coyote and don't think there is such thing as a coyote that is too dead. I think a 22-250 is a great gun out to 400 yards, for me who's not a sharp shooter like others on this forum, but I would lean towards a 6mm that would knock a coyote down at 600 yards or beyond. My kids have been drawing lots of antelope tags and was hoping a 6mm would maybe be an antelope rifle option as well

Yes that something I've really been thinking about. A 22-250 was my dream caliber as a teenager. Anymore I'm not one to save the pelt of a coyote and don't think there is such thing as a coyote that is too dead. I think a 22-250 is a great gun out to 400 yards, for me who's not a sharp shooter like others on this forum, but I would lean towards a 6mm that would knock a coyote down at 600 yards or beyond. My kids have been drawing lots of antelope tags and was hoping a 6mm would maybe be an antelope rifle option as well
One of the reasons why I went to a 260 AI. but a fast twist 22-250 is something I've considered. A 243 on something in 6mm would be great if leaning more towards varmints as a priority. I went towards a 260 AI. But lately a 6.5x47 seems like a great choice. Eats less powder. Anything that can use both small rifle primers as well as larger rifle primers would be great during this component shortage.

newmexican hunter said:
I think a 22-250 is a great gun out to 400 yards, for me who's not a sharp shooter like others on this forum, but I would lean towards a 6mm that would knock a coyote down at 600 yards or beyond. My kids have been drawing lots of antelope tags and was hoping a 6mm would maybe be an antelope rifle option as well.

@newmexican hunter, if you're wanting to extend the range, I withdraw my recommendation of a 22-250 AI. There are multiple 6s that will do the trick. 6 Creedmoor would be the easy button, but it's a barrel burner compared to some. Heck, a fast-twist .243 Win would do the job. Might even look at the 6GT or 6mm ARC. I'd still do a Remage, though.

Last edited:
....selling guns is a last resort did it once.still regret it...wont do it again.....rebarrel to something you have a use for..... if your not up for a project and Better yet, how bad are the groups? Something thats opened up from .2 MOA to 1 MOA, while not being acceptable to you may be perfect to sell at a discount ( with a disclaimer as to why your sending in down the road) to a junior shooter/hunter you know could use a hand getting into our sports.....shooting sports need all the new blood we can get especially with the cost of entry even on factory rack grade stuff....youll regret that way less than dumping it at a pawn shop...and recoup some cost...Not really an answer to your question, but just a thought.
The groups are a little over 1 moa. I'm kinda an accuracy snob. I used to think that was great as a youth but that doesn't excite me anymore. So the gun ends up sitting in the safe. I'm into quality and not quantity of rifles anymore. I'd rather have one really nice firearm then 10 mediocre ones. I have a custom 6.5 and custom 30 cal. Was hoping for a good smaller caliber. Thanks for your input sir

I have a Remington 700 22-250 that was purchased in 2003. This is one of Remington's many mass production rifles that are so so. Sometimes they group and sometimes they don't type of rifle. The barrel on this rifle is shot out and doesn't group anymore. Here is my question for you all. I cant decide if its worth it to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled in a different caliber like .243 or 6 creed or just start over and get what I can out of it from a pawn shop? Would you just sell it or what caliber would you choose if you rebarreled it? Thanks for your input
No doubt I would go with a new barrel depending on its use Remington 700 chassis are extremely durable long range I would go .243 but if you want a tack driver I would go 220 swift

Might consider one of the "new kids on the block" 6mmARC or 224Valkryie. But, as always, first question you should answer is what you want it to do. Keep us posted on your direction and the outcome.

Irf it's shot out you can sell it to me lol I would go with a new barrel a custom done right you just can't beat whatever caliber you decide.243 is a great caliber but if you want a under 500 yards I would consider a 220 swift if you do decide to sell it please drop me a line good luck so many calibers so little time

My heavy barrel of that era shoots one hole with my hand loads. Re barrel if you can use a no recoil accurate target/varmint set up...

6mm is a goid choice as well.I have a 6mm Creedmoor and a 6mm ARC.
I shoot almost daily.
I now shoot my 6mm ARC alot more than my 6CM.
I shoot at 1200 yds,1000yds and 600yds maily.
With the Antelope tags I'd go with 6mm Creedmoor. It's a very nice round..Goid luck.

I had an old savage just kept updating it, new trigger, limsaver pad, pillar bedding, full bedding, muzzle brake, other stuff as well until I rebarreled it into a caliber I wanted. Shoots very nice and it was a fun project.

I have a Remington 700 22-250 that was purchased in 2003. This is one of Remington's many mass production rifles that are so so. Sometimes they group and sometimes they don't type of rifle. The barrel on this rifle is shot out and doesn't group anymore. Here is my question for you all. I cant decide if its worth it to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled in a different caliber like .243 or 6 creed or just start over and get what I can out of it from a pawn shop? Thanks for your input
" Would you just sell it or what caliber would you choose if you rebarreled it?" When I read your question, I was curious about what you want to do with this rifle. Are you looking for another 22-250 or another cartridge/caliber to hunt a particular game? Right now I have a Ruger 77, in 22-250. It is a short action with a magazine block. I bought this rifle with the intention of hunting coyote with it, but...the gun hasn't left the safe in three years. I am thinking about a re-barrel to .358 Winchester because (1) I black bear hunt and it would be a good rifle to take as a back-up gun and (2) short action Ruger 77s are tough to come by and they are expensive when one does find one. What are you planning to use this rifle for is the question??

Recent Posts