What to do with older 22-250

Sell it for the Price of the Action to ^^^ and Buy,.. another .22-250 ( 1-8 TW ), OR,.. a .243 Win. or, 6.5 Creed,.. TIKKA !
By the Time you add in, the cost of ,.. Blue Printing action, a New descent Trigger, a New Barrel and Chambering,.. Yikes !
Tikka is,.. the,.. WAY to go ! I HAVE, 2 Rem's and 3 Tikka's and I'd NEVER, "waste" the Money on, "Building" a Rem, again !
I have, a $950.00, .243 W. Tikka ( W/ 6 X 20 scope ) T-3 SS, that shoots, VERY "close to", as good as, my,.. $3,000 Custom, 6XC Rem, action, Rifle !

Last edited:
I had the same exact situation recently so I sent it and a 1/7 twist barrel to LRI for a 22 Creedmoor. You can buy brass for it ...alpha is what I got, if you go the 22 250AI route then you will have to fire form your brass...

I have a Remington 700 22-250 that was purchased in 2003. This is one of Remington's many mass production rifles that are so so. Sometimes they group and sometimes they don't type of rifle. The barrel on this rifle is shot out and doesn't group anymore. Here is my question for you all. I cant decide if its worth it to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled in a different caliber like .243 or 6 creed or just start over and get what I can out of it from a pawn shop? Would you just sell it or what caliber would you choose if you rebarreled it? Thanks for your input
Just find the correct distance off the lands and reload , unless you already have done that, some of those were very particular to the ammo, I'd sell it before doing a rebarrel it always love a 22-250
I have a Remington 700 22-250 that was purchased in 2003. This is one of Remington's many mass production rifles that are so so. Sometimes they group and sometimes they don't type of rifle. The barrel on this rifle is shot out and doesn't group anymore. Here is my question for you all. I cant decide if its worth it to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled in a different caliber like .243 or 6 creed or just start over and get what I can out of it from a pawn shop? Would you just sell it or what caliber would you choose if you rebarreled it? Thanks for your input
No rebarrel, these were very piacular to the ammo, have you reloaded any for it. work the distance off the lands and try again, If you don't like it then sell it. find another in whatever cal. you like better

I'd pull the barrel and order a "Remage" barrel from McGowen in whatever short action cartridge you like. I'd not bother with truing unless you have a local smith who can square the face of the action for you. I have fast twist McGowen barrels in .22-250 AI, .243 AI, and .260 AI spun on previously used Remington actions; they're all shooters. Only other thing I'd do is upgrade a factory trigger.

If you like playing with guns a little while then flipping to fund the next project I wouldn't put the money into a factory action… you're better off selling and starting with a custom action… you'll get better money out of it when you're ready to move to the next project… if you're going to keep it forever then I wouldn't hesitate to build off a blue printed 700… I've seen 700 actions that look and function like a high end custom… only giveaway is the serial number… pretty incredible what a talented smith can do with a 700 factory action… have fun

I'd buy it if the price was right. I can always use a donor action.

I think if you wanted to take it to a pawn shop that's up to you. I've sold and traded guns and I regret most of them. Ones I regret the most were when I sold a couple of rifles to a pawnshop. I'd get to work on putting a new barrel on it, possibly try to have it blueprinted. Put a good trigger on it and lay it in a new stock. Depending on what you want/need out of a rifle you can do anything you want. 22-250AI, 22 Creed, 6 Creed, 7mm-08, open the face and go WSM/SAUM.

It would depend on the exterior dimensions on the action and how well it shot before. Plus add to what accessories you already have for it. My beloved PSS was built back in around 1990 or earlier. But it's exterior dimensions as well as the scope mount screw holes are off. I'll never sell it as it was a gift from my family. Now my 22-250 built back in the 1980's is nicely built. That one is getting re-barreled as we speak. It's shot out as well, but I was able to get it to shoot using flat based Berger 55 gr Match Target bullets. Accounted for a 583 yard chuck last year.

If the barrel is shot out, rechambering it to another .224 caliber cartridge is an effort in futility. He has three choices: 1) sell it to someone else while noting that it isn't a tack driver anymore; 2) reboring the barrel for a cartridge of greater diameter (.257, .264, etc); or 3) rebarreling it to 22/250 or a new cartridge. The latter might be done in concert with other work on the action, bolt, trigger, etc. Personal finances may dictate which route you may follow.