What tire chains?

I am a diesel mechanic and done of the older drivers stopped using heavy chains and stayed using zip ties( white industrial grade about three feet long). Zip ties can be used on older cobblestone streets if needed and the are alot easier to put on. Too the top for my two wheel and four wheel drive and have never been stuck. Also they are fairly inexpensive and don't require mx.

You have been extremely lucky so far only having a two wheel drive and not needing chains. Don't skimp on chains for off road use on a truck. Some times they are your only means to get out. If you can find Army surplus chains used on the old, I thihk, Duce and 1/2. Have them fit to your tires and get the heavy cross chain/spring cross ties. Carry shovels, tarps to put on the chains and a cross cut saw in case you slide up against a tree.

I've been in the Wyoming mountains the last 2 years elk hunting. So far, I haven't needed chains for my tires but believe I should have some in my truck especially since it's 2WD. What chains do y'all recommend? I know nothing about chains since I live where it snows every five years or so.

Thanks,

DoubleG

Glacier Alloy Square Link Snow Tire Chains with Cam Tighteners - 1 Pair

Item # PWH2328SLC

I've been in the Wyoming mountains the last 2 years elk hunting. So far, I haven't needed chains for my tires but believe I should have some in my truck especially since it's 2WD. What chains do y'all recommend? I know nothing about chains since I live where it snows every five years or so.

Thanks,

DoubleG
Where I live I use chains to get around in the winter. I will buy alloy chains for my trucks, these will wear longer, a lot longer and never buy chains without cams you will forever be tightening hooks, levers, boomers, bungees, baler wire or whatever you can find to keep them on and you will probably be driving only 20 mph on the highway so you don't sling them off. We seem to have been having more ice the last few years than I can remember in the past so I keep some v-bar chains for this. I don't use anything except cam type and have even added more cams on some chains in the past to make them tighter. When you put these on your tires make sure they are tight, I use a small boomer to hook the end link and a small "cheater pipe" to twist the cam wrench. If the chains pull down into the tire you know it is tight. I trim off the excess links so they are not loosely flying around, one is OK but more can cause damage. With these chains I will not drive over 55mph but I know people that do with no trouble. This how I used to chain up my wreckers for 18 wheeler recovery and it works fine. A set may last you ten years on a light truck. A set of good chains will probably run around $400 bucks for a light truck $900-$1200 for a truck but they are worth it compared to having to call me for a recovery which will probably cost more than a good set of chains. I have had many trips to tow folks that slung their chains off, breaking brake lines ripping fenders and tearing up CV joints plus being stranded 100 miles from town. Don't be to cheap as to cut costs and wind up with more than being stranded without communication. Just my experience...

All you need to know is if they are road legal then they are a BAD choice.
Those are wussy chains designed to not tear up the pavement. You WANT
BIG MUD CHAINS with LARGE links. Google "MUD chains" and dont use all those
recommended wussy road chains. I keep a pair at all times in the back of my F-150
If you are going to spend money then do it right the first time and dont ***** foot around.

Thanks,

DoubleG
Tirechains.com carry any chains you want and can answer any questions you may have. We have bought several sets from them. Great service

Just use your noodle and code the right path. Sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right. Sometimes take are more minutes with acup of coffee to let the ground refreeze and harden up. Also try not to turn the hole into guacamole got the next person. Drive light off-road vehicles too. My avalanche and s10 only weigh 5400 and 3300 lbs. respectively. That reduces the changes further. Also I used mud tires on the rear. It is hard to beat km2s in those moments.

And tap it kool at first...

Chains deffinatly have advantages,,, they can also get you into a bind if you go past certain points,,, we've seen this a few times up here in the North...

Don't get me wrong nor right,,, I've had my challanging moments with tire chains on 2 wdr's,,, the trick is keeping the front-end up on the road,,, I put 1 on a steering chain for this...

I messed around with them in the oil patch and logging on big rigs,,, then on my pickup trucks for snowmobiling,,, quading,,, fishing and hunting,,, I learned a few things,,, let people know where your going,,, and think 3 X's before pointing the wheels down a road you might not return on """if""" you get rhubarb,,, long walk for help if you cross over 1 or 2 mountain ranges... Ha... 10 or 20 miles is a long walk in the winter months in the mountains...

Stick to the mains,,, chat with the road grader dude and others in the area,,, play it wize my friend...

Be prepared to change your plan and stay ontop of the tire chains in tightness and wear,,, fix them before they wreck your fenders...

I quit counting the miles on tire chains back in 1994,,, pretty sure I've logged on 4 if not 8000 +++ miles...

My longest stint started in the fall and rapped up in the spring,,, Super Sow Bed truck for oil patch in Zama City and Ft Nelson,,, from bottomless gum-ball to steep mountains with dozer push and pull cats to get us up and down the hills... Ha,,, lots of wrecks over those 2 winters...

Cheers from the North...

PS: Folks ask me,,, what is the most memorable monuments I remember about distance using tire chains,,, my reply is,,, to places I haven't been to yet !!!

Be sure you put them on the back, :) just kidding... Which reminds me of a joke; You ever see a Polish Toronado? ( don't flip out my wife is Polish I love the Polish people) anyway'..., it's a 53 Chevrolet Bel Air with snow tires on the front.

A lot of good advice, I only read the first page.

A three foot piece of carpet will make installation or removal easy and keep you drier. Practice during the day and night, sunshine or rain in a parking lot, with and without a flashlight. You will not need the carpet when you have done it often enough. Rubber rings or spiders work well, I usually double them. Buy link and cross link replacements and the tools, cheap insurance. A galvanized feed storage can with lid keeps them in place and out of your way. Carry some tie-wraps to control the extra link(s) when your tires wear a bit, and the dykes of coarse.

Start off easy, 2nd gear is fine. Many the time when I am not running chains, in our sedan going to church, and I can move around and past those in chains which are spinning wheels and wearing the chains out.

The heavier the chains the better, with V-links or ice breakers. Be sure there is clearance so your wheel well survives. Don't be pennywise, depending on your tires the starting price for 2 chains will be upwards of $150.00. The quick install chains are great in the summer at the store, (a moneymaker for the store as you will be back), the standard last and are easier to install.

Keep them in your truck year round. I run fairly aggressive tires and the occasion comes up where I find silt sand in the rain or squirrel holes under the leaves and I drop down a dozen inches or so. The four wheel drive usually pulls me out, low range, all four locked up. I also have 2 sets of 2. Those icy roads can be tricky, my tires are a bit wide for icy conditions.

Leave a bit of extra link(s) when 'you' get size them, you want enough to fit new tires when they are replaced. If the seller sizes them you will have exact fit for the wear on your tires.

Last edited:
I've gotten some really good information about tire chains on this thread, thanks for posting it. Really interested in the "cam lock" system, will install them on my tractor chains, some of the locks on the chains are a real PITA to put on. I have been dealing with a company out of Maine for years and years, they make a good product, shipping is fast and they answer their telephone if you have a question, and.....you don't have to press "1" for English!! TCR (Tire Chains Required) I use their products on my tractors and my truck. I have a 4wd 2500, the chains are my JIC standbys (just in case). Always purchase the "heavy duty" chains (no matter who you buy from) and the heavy duty spreaders; I always have at least one spare set of spreaders. Also remember that they will destroy your truck if they get broken or you go too fast with them.

www.tirechainsrequired.com

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.