Tire Chains - 2014 - 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500

fnlights

Hi All,

I have an elk hunt coming up in Colorado and am considering buying tires chains just for extra insurance. My truck is a 2016 Silverado 1500 with 275 55 R20 tires and my manual says that I cannot run any tire chains. I understand if there is no clearance, but from looking at the truck, I believe I should have plenty of clearance in the rear (about 1.5 inches on each side of the tire to the mud flaps). I could see the front being tight with chains while at full turn and would likely catch the mudflaps and fenders.

Does anyone with a Silverado in this year range run tire chains? I fully plan on being smart with the area's I go and want to minimize time with them, but want them just in case the weather turns while hunting.

I am thinking of getting some S Class cables for the front and chains for the back? Thoughts?

You are on the right track with the cables in the front and chains for the back. Just make sure you put them on at home before the trip to make sure they fit good and tight. I think most of the auto makers say not to run chains because of liability.
Oh for sure - I would practice getting them on there and getting them tight before I would ever run them.

I honestly hope to never have to use them and plan on being smart about avoiding places where they may be needed, but we all know how the temperature changes out there and how soft the roads can get / and or / how fast snow can fall.

Bottom line, I can't help you, before hunting seasons start I check fit all four tires to make sure nothing is kinked and the tensioners aren't cracked or broke, they stay in the bed along with a shovel and handyman. Only thing I would say is buy them someplace you could take them back, check the fit and as long as you have clearance everywhere, they should be fine. Better to have them to get you out of a sticky situation than not, mud, snow, ice will get you into trouble fast

Hi All,

I have an elk hunt coming up in Colorado and am considering buying tires chains just for extra insurance. My truck is a 2016 Silverado 1500 with 275 55 R20 tires and my manual says that I cannot run any tire chains. I understand if there is no clearance, but from looking at the truck, I believe I should have plenty of clearance in the rear (about 1.5 inches on each side of the tire to the mud flaps). I could see the front being tight with chains while at full turn and would likely catch the mudflaps and fenders.

Does anyone with a Silverado in this year range run tire chains? I fully plan on being smart with the area's I go and want to minimize time with them, but want them just in case the weather turns while hunting.

I am thinking of getting some S Class cables for the front and chains for the back? Thoughts?
I am not an expert but had a set of chains for my old jeep, honestly an inch and a half is not enough clearance. I believe you want around 4 to 5 inches. Cables may be a better option for you, I would run by a tire store and ask. We can have snow at any time in the mountains had a wicked snow storm in July up in Grand county first year I moved out here. A 4 wheel drive with good off-road kind of tires (had the BF Goodrich) you should be fine never had to put my chains on my jeep when off-road in the mountains.

you must not take you jeep were I go,chained up 100's of times, ice is a must.Had to chain up my p/u camper to get out last year.I see guys all four and trailers chained. Les Swab sell you chains and use to be you could bring back if not used
IMG_0704.JPG

As a mechanic here in Montana I saw several trucks each winter with broken brake lines to caliper due to improper fit.
Schwabs tire center here has a service,they prefit a set of chains to any vehicle.Its a custom service as they cut the excess overlap so that won't happen.I feel many shops do that.Worth the extra cost.

As a mechanic here in Montana I saw several trucks each winter with broken brake lines to caliper due to improper fit.
Schwabs tire center here has a service,they prefit a set of chains to any vehicle.Its a custom service as they cut the excess overlap so that won't happen.I feel many shops do that.Worth the extra cost.
Wish I had someone that would do something like this!

Go to your favorite tire dealer and ask them if they do that service.If not call every tire dealer in your area and ask them.
Schwabs tire store are everywhere here in Montana.
Also check with your favorite mechanic shop as they can do the same.Anyplace that has snow every winter should have someplace that does that service.One tire shop here called Tire O'rama will sell you chains and install them with you watching and then get you to install them so you know how to do that before leaving that shop.

Chain hack: once you set your chains on the tire, use a bright colored zip tie to mark the correct adjustment link. Seems I am always putting chains on in storm, at night, etc. Having a durable marker on the link is something you will appreciate when your head lamp sees the Easy Button!

Like putting chains in in blizzard in 2019 north of Steamboat that dropped 3-5'. I was able to put chains on in really short time in heavy snow. We were going to stay until CO's dropped by and informed us of forecast. Between tearing down tent in near zero visibility and putting chains on at youngster age 69 was so much fun. Others had terrible time putting chains on and were cussing me out!😂 . Drive out to Wyoming was "interesting" and was so-glad CO's stopped by. The bright red zip ties were so beautiful to see laying under my Ram 2500! No way I could have gotten out without chains. Drive back thru WY on I90 in near zero visibility at times was not fun. Finally got into a plaza to shut down and slept like baby in reclined seat and sleeping bag over me.

We hunted up high last fall. 2020 Silverado, Couldnt get high in 4 wheel drive. Drove back to town and bought chains for front and back, Made sure everything was good and tight and went to the top with no problems. Clearance was close on the front but all went very well. Wont be afraid to use them on the front. Just my opinion.