2014 Bow Hunting

blhenson

It seems odd to put bow hunts on the long range hunting site. But given that the rifle hunter we had missed a 330 bull at 125 yards, this is what we've got....Bow hunting, including massive stupidity (mine) and some pretty good archery work by a couple of guys.

I had a friend and his wife up from Texas, for their third bow season. She likes to spot, and he is a great shot, but lacks elk experience, although he's getting there fast. they came up for 2 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately the season started ahead of the rut, so the bulls were quiet. Thee were elk around, but they were slow. So we spent the first few days chasing mulies. He did alright picked up a 150 buck. Shot it it in a great spot, on top on a flat. Unfortunately the deer took around 10 seconds to keel over, that was about 2 seconds too long. He took a few long jumps, reached the canyon rim. Collapsed, and tumbled 600 yards nearly straight down. Coming up with the back end on my back, I swore he'd fallen at least 5 miles down the hill. Crappy picture doesn't show the size well, better buck than he looks.

We went back to elk hunting. I was calling for him, so I went out without my bow. Bugled in a good 6x6 325ish bull within 35 yards....of me....The guy with the bow was 85 yards away...we thought another bull would come in first....so there I sat a good bull 35 yards away, and I was unarmed...massively stupid....

We hunted another week, I called in 6 or 8 bulls into shooting range, we had another massive miscommunication. He had a 5x5, decent bull, but not great at 45 yards. I could hear another bull coming, so told him not to shoot. Then I faded back about 50 yards and kept calling. I thought the bull was on top of him, but no shot, so eventually I came up and could see the bull, a big 5x5, probably 280-290. I said "dang to bad he didn't get close enough for a shot" John said "That bull? I thought he was the one you said not to shoot. He was standing right there, and I passed on him"

John only had a couple of more days when we got glass on a really nice 7x7. We got set up and I started calling. The bull started working toward us. I heard another bugle, and saw a bull coming at a dead run at about 300 yards...I kept calling and he kept coming, stopping to scream occasionally...I was hissing at John, because he was waiting on the 7x7 that was coming slowly. The new bull came in hard, and stopped to scream right below a cut bank...I was on top of the bank behind some brush...9 yards...I had decided I was going to have to shoot him, when TWANG ....Thunk.....John hit him....he walked 90 yards and tipped over...good bull...6x6 right at 300...I took off after the 7x7 and got him in at 75 yards, just couldn't get him closer.

So now it was my turn....

Except that a hunter at a neighbors asked if I'd call for him...so back to the woods...He's an excellent hunter, I've known him for 5 years and he's always been successful... He's picky, and wasn't after a small bull. I called in 8-10 bulls for him....then ended up working a 350ish bull for 2 hours on the second week of calling for him...it came in...and spun just as he released...a clean miss at 35 yards...crap...I got the bull back in, but never had a shooting lane.

The next day, I called in an oddball bull with a club horn...no shooting lane....

next day We were in elk, he called for me, and I passed a decent 5, and a couple of rags. the I saw "Clubby" across a canyon and asked "You want him?"...he said "Sure" so we worked into position. He set up 50 yards in front. I did an estrus call...just one...and the bull came in hard...He shot him at 25 yards....really nice bull....but odd...If he'd been even, he'd have scored right at 340, but you can se in the pictures...he was not exactly even...

So to end the season I was left with two days of hunting....I passed a good 5x5 (mistake)...messed up a good 6...completely flummoxed it...and ended up eating my tag...but had a great season, called 32 bulls into shooting range...and my two guys got good bulls.

Didin't ask the guys about posting their pic's so sorry about the faces

Attachments

• 150 deer.jpg
    150 deer.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 340 bull.jpg
    340 bull.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 119
  • 300 bull.jpg
    300 bull.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.