what state to elk hunt?

backyardsniper

Looking to book trip in 2013. What states are easiest/best for nonresidents to hunt to draw a tag in. This will be the first elk trip for me and my friends so we aren't trophy hunting just want to kill an elk. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated

im not an expert by any means but just from what I've seen living here in Colorado the past year , if you just want to kill something you don't even have to draw a tag. with so many OTC gmu's getting a tag isn't that hard and with 1/3 of the state being public land finding places to hunt isn't that hard either.

how do you plan on hunting? drop camp, guided hunt, DIY?

Hey Sniper,
I would forget ID & MT because of the wolf situation. I am from Utah and guided there for 6 years. Utah has a very good elk herd. Would also think about CO. Last fall on my elk hunt here in ID I seen 2 wolves and no elk. This is the same area where I have killed my last 4 elk. Do not spend your money on nonresident tags to simply feed the wolves.
Kirk

With Montana FWP making public statements that due to predation some herds are near extinction, at the very least a lot of research is in order, prior to buying a tag. Idaho somewhat better. If you're content with picturesque trail ride, off season is usually cheaper and the weather is better.

Looking to book trip in 2013. What states are easiest/best for nonresidents to hunt to draw a tag in. This will be the first elk trip for me and my friends so we aren't trophy hunting just want to kill an elk. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated

You might consider one of the New Mexico private land Cow Elk hunts. Its a great way to "get your feet wet" Kennedy Hunting Services comes to mind. A bargain IMO.

I live in Washington State and have hunted Wyoming several times. I have always killed an elk. Reduced price cow-calf tags are an easy draw. A great hunt great country. PM me for unit info if you want a public land hunt.

You have gotten a lot of good advice up to this point. I would say because of this being your 1st elk hunt, go on a guided cow hunt. Try to pick an outfitter that will not only sell you a hunt, but one that would teach you a little about elk, and elk hunting. Cow hunts as a rule are much cheaper than bull hunts, and success rates are usually pretty high.
I would look at Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado. I have hunted all three of these states plus Oregon and Montana. If you're interested in New Mexico I will tell you I spend May to the Middle of September guiding fly fisherman on a very large ranch in NM, ( Vermejo Park Ranch) it has a cow hunt that has a very high success. I don't guide hunters on the ranch but I know they do a very good job on these hunts, but really if you do your home work you can find good hunts in several different states. If I can help you in any way shoot me an email.
Good luck Gator

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.