What short action would you use for big game

For moose and black bear inside 600 yards, you have several great options. Most of these are barely breaking a sweat at 600 yards as well.

If you want something "boring" with ammo on every shelf, the 308 is a no-brainer.
Like the 30 cal but want to shoot a heavier bullet or something faster? 300 WSM is a solid choice.
Reload yourself and prefer a .284 with a faster, flatter shooting rig? 7 SAUM or 7WSM are awesome choices.
Want the latest and greatest? 6.5 PRC is worth the hype.

Last edited:
Friend of mine that just retired from gunsmithing built 204s up to 500 weatherby. His last rifle for moose and bear was a 308 with 155 vlds. No kidding. I prefer a bit more, but he shot/built/owned more rifles than many of us together.

I like wsms but prefer them on a long action

what's your preferred feeding method in a long action

I'd like to note if your hunting moose then you're in bear country weather it be browns or grizzlies. I'm not bashing any short actions. If your going to run a short action I'm just saying there's no replacement for displacement when it comes to shutting down a big bear. I've seen moose fall to a 243 Winchester, & I've seen big grizzlies laugh when hit with a 375 h&h. What ever you choose be confident in it and good luck

only black bears actually, and most being under 300 lbs

So here's the thing, a new rifle is coming my way regardless but for now it's got to be either a budget build or a switch barrel with another rifle. In the midst of purchasing a house and getting engaged so a full build is out but don't want factory really.

I have a 6mm creed build on a Kelbly atlas tac action, manners t5 stock currently and can get a mag bolt for it for cheap, then get a barrel chambered and I'm off to the races. This set up is completely from an AI mag unless I get a new stock as well for bdl to extend the overall length. I was strongly looking at the Sherman shorts but unfortunately getting the stuff in Canada is proving to be a pain and expensive. I don't want to be a waste doing a short action mag build that doesn't really play out when I'm restricted to mag like 300. Wsm with 215's or something.

second option which has been bloody hard to find is a used mag face tikka in which that case I'll be running a 270. Wsm, new barrel, and some small work plus stock.

I have never used it, but Federal makes a 175g Edge TLR round in .308 Winchester that will reliably expand down to 1400fps. Its leaving the muzzle at 2600fps and at 600 yards its still over 1700fps. My guess is that you could shorten up your barrel to make your rifle lighter and handier and still get the necessary 1400 plus fps needed to expand reliably. If they shot worth a hoot in your rifle, you would probably be good to go. I haven't looked at .308s in a while because I have been eyeballing the bigger 30s, but I would not hesitate to take black bear or moose at those ranges if I felt comfortable hitting at that range. The bullet will do the job.

second option which has been bloody hard to find is a used mag face tikka in which that case I'll be running a 270. Wsm, new barrel, and some small work plus stock.

I have a Tikka 270 wsm that I swapped the bolt stop on. So now it's got the long bolt stop. I was going to build on it but kinda losing interest. Idk if I can send it to Canada. If I can and you are interested shoot me an offer.

I have a Tikka 270 wsm that I swapped the bolt stop on. So now it's got the long bolt stop. I was going to build on it but kinda losing interest. Idk if I can send it to Canada. If I can and you are interested shoot me an offer.

id be all over it but I believe the headache for both of us wouldn't over be worth it. Especially for yourself when you can save yourself the hassle and just offload it in the states. I greatly appreciate the offer

Curious as to what short action caliber you would use for moose and black bear for ranges less then 600 yards. I normally shoot a 270. Win through to 300. Win mag but looking at maybe doing a short action, lighter weight build for moose hunting.

There are better ways to reduce weight than going to a SA. For your application something 33 Cal fits in nicely. Most of those are long actions.
338 wm 33 nosler 338 Norma or wildcat 33-300 wm.
Would be an easy build and you could use a lighter stock and scope.
If your dead set on a SA, 300 wsm throated properly is a fine option.

Good luck.

I've always thought a 338 wsm would be a really nice fit in a mid length/tikka. Now that Rich has the 338 max that would be sweet also. Especially for bear, moose, and elk.

Curious as to what short action caliber you would use for moose and black bear for ranges less then 600 yards. I normally shoot a 270. Win through to 300. Win mag but looking at maybe doing a short action, lighter weight build for moose hunting.

The weight savings between a short and long action would not be enough for me to justify using a short action for a rifle build around game large as moose to save 2 or 3 ounces. But if I was to do it on a true S/A it would be a 338 SST.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.