What short action would you use for big game

Not sure if you want to get into proprietary stuff, but I would look into Sherman short stuff, or SST if you are set on a short action. IMO, nothing hinders performance worse than jamming a bullet into a case to accommodate mag length, or shooting sub standard bullets to make it work. Not saying it can't be done, just goes against the grain of my thoughts. At least with the Sherman, you can throat it out some and still fit in a magazine, at least common mags and BM systems.
I really want to try a 25 SST, having a tough time buying a short action with a mag bolt face though.

If you're just looking for a short action rifle to hunt moose and black bear with, why wouldn't you consider the .308 Winchester? I know that its not fast or fancy, but there are plenty of pluses to a classic lady.

30 caliber bullet choices are pretty much unlimited. There is a massive selection of factory loads and every single manufacturer that makes a hunting bullet makes bullets in 30 caliber I would think.

if you reload, there are volumes and volumes and volumes of information on reloading for the .308 Winchester. There is also a wide selection of fine high quality brass out there. Everything in the .308 Winchester has been perfected and reperfected and reperfected 100 times over.

Also, the recoil is mild. You wouldn't have to contend with the sting of the magnum cartridges. Plus, the round is more than capable of reaching out to 600 yards should the need present itself.

There are also plenty of light weight factory offerings available as far as rifles go.

That would be my suggestion.

I'd start with a Tikka action, as they're true and don't require $$$ triggers. Buy a second hand Magnum model at a pawn shop for 400$, upgrade the trigger spring 10$, buy a hells canyon billet wsm mag 80$, I'd personally upgrade the stock to a Mesa or AG 600$, get hold of LRI and have them chamber/fit you a barrel 600$(depending on options). You're at 1700$ and will have a great light rifle. As for cases: 300wsm, 7mm saum would be my recommendations.

Friend of mine that just retired from gunsmithing built 204s up to 500 weatherby. His last rifle for moose and bear was a 308 with 155 vlds. No kidding. I prefer a bit more, but he shot/built/owned more rifles than many of us together.

I like wsms but prefer them on a long action

Curious as to what short action caliber you would use for moose and black bear for ranges less then 600 yards. I normally shoot a 270. Win through to 300. Win mag but looking at maybe doing a short action, lighter weight build for moose hunting.
Bighorn action with a 300 wsm,

Another 300wsm fan. I built one on Surgeon's WSM action with a Wyatt's and sporting a 20" barrel. Shoots the 168 Barnes TSX in tiny groups! I love this combo.

If you want to go cheap I would say get a Tikka in a 338 federal with a good quality 3-9 scope. Get a set of Warne or DNZ mounts and you are good to go. Factory ammo is available and there are plenty of great .338 bullets for reloading (210 partition, 185 TSX). Good frontal area and plenty of energy in a light weight factory rifle without having to spend thousands on a custom. I mean you could pay more but probably won't get much more accurate than the factory Tikka. I have one and love mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts