What short action would you use for big game

Curious as to what short action caliber you would use for moose and black bear for ranges less then 600 yards. I normally shoot a 270. Win through to 300. Win mag but looking at maybe doing a short action, lighter weight build for moose hunting.
If you looking for a short mag with the punch for moose check out the 338 Sherman Shortmag I shoot a 230 ELDX at 2900 with 61.4 gr Varget. This thing still has 2T muzzle energy at 1000 yards. It's an unbelievable round. My build is 8.5 lbs scoped and with the 4 port break my wife can shoot it.

It's not just the weight I'm trying to save. I'm just looking at doing a shorter, more carry friendly short action build. The weight savings between the actions wasn't my main goal just thought it would be a nice addition to a light weight build.

I've been hunting in a group of guys for moose for 15 years and the old boys in the group have been hunting them for 60 years. They've always used 30-06 180gr and 270. Win 150 gr bullets. I'm not worried about bringing a big 338 with me. Once I get out of the financial spot I'm in with the ring and house coming I'd like to do a bigger 30 cal or 338 build but for now I'd love to do a lighter weight short action build, for mid range. Like mention 600 and closer mainly.

i have a origin action, with all three bolt heads, i used the wto switch lug. i can go from 223-6.5creedmoor-6.5 saum- to 300 saum. i can change barrels without taking it out of the stock. takes approx. 3 minutes to change over. all barrels are xcaliber #5, shooting .170 to .325 groups. build is in a iota stock mag feed.

Curious as to what short action caliber you would use for moose and black bear for ranges less then 600 yards. I normally shoot a 270. Win through to 300. Win mag but looking at maybe doing a short action, lighter weight build for moose hunting.
I just built a 7wsm on a short 700 action. With a Wyatt box it feeds fine and shoots 180 Berger vld under .5 moa. Super pleased is an understatement!

I would build one of the Sherman wildcat cartridges. Probably a 7ss, pretty impressive for a short action.

I'm sorry but the 7mm-08 is not a solid choice for what the OPs original post stated. Shooting a Moose at 600 yards with a 7mm-08 would not be a wise choice. Maybe a Coues deer or a Antelope at 600 would be okay but a Moose? Not my first choice of short action caliber. A 300wsm moving a 215 Berger at 3000 FPS is a much better choice.

Given the big species, I'd say 300 WSM or if you wildcat the 358 WSM/Sambar. I have a shortened version of the 358 with the shoulder pushed back and trimmed to meet Indiana's old laws and it runs with the 35 Whelen AI and hits like the hammer of Thor. A full sized option would be a convincing round.

Given the big species, I'd say 300 WSM or if you wildcat the 358 WSM/Sambar. I have a shortened version of the 358 with the shoulder pushed back and trimmed to meet Indiana's old laws and it runs with the 35 Whelen AI and hits like the hammer of Thor. A full sized option would be a convincing round.

My Dad has a model 99 Savage in a 358 Winchester and a 24" barrel. That thing hits like a tank. Not a long range load by any means but 200 and in it hits like "Thor".

I'm sorry but the 7mm-08 is not a solid choice for what the OPs original post stated. Shooting a Moose at 600 yards with a 7mm-08 would not be a wise choice. Maybe a Coues deer or a Antelope at 600 would be okay but a Moose? Not my first choice of short action caliber. A 300wsm moving a 215 Berger at 3000 FPS is a much better choice.
How many moose have you killed?

None, but my father has killed one in Maine, unit 7, that I witnessed with a 358 Winchester at 75 yards. 200 grain Barnes bullet traveling about 2585. The Bull took 2 rounds like I would take a fastball on my thigh. After about 2 minutes he walked about 10 yards and expired. Why do you ask? I've killed many Bull Elk and can't wait to get to Maine for my Eastern Canadian Moose. 13 bonus Points and waiting.

Last edited:
A little bit of an older thread but wanted to through our stuff into the mix.

We make most of the WSM wildcats. See our list. We did skip some of the common ones because from 6.5 WSM to 300 WSM, that seems like a good next step. For moose and black bear. 338 WSM would be a great choice. Even with an 18" Barrel, it can expand a 230gr ELDX over 800 yards. So 600 yards would be great.

We do make more common barrel lengths but one of our principals is make it shorter to accommodate the silencer. Without taking in stock variables most BA with 18" barrel and silencer are 44" LOA. Ammo, brass, load data are available not just from us. Check out our site and Youtube Channel.

V/r,

Richie

"Send It, Quietly"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.