What short action would you use for big game

300 short mag. You just have so many quality options for this. Excellent brass choices, soooo many quality bullet choices and you can get a 200 grain plus pill really humming. I built mine off a lefty Savage control round feed short mag action and used the factory bottom metal. I've had great results and no issues with seating depth on the bigger pills. Had a McMillan Game Warden stock made, action trued and new barrel lug and a McGowen barrel.

Last edited:
I love my Browning Abolt 2 in 300wsm. It's taken nearly every big game animal in North America. Did exceptionally well when I lived in Alaska. Moose, caribou, Dallas sheep, bear and etc. A good 180 gr at 3000 fps is potent and flat shooting. Sure, there are bigger and flatter shooting cartridges. But, for me this was a good lightweight all around rifle and cartridge.

I go with "extremesolo" on the Tikka in .338 Federal. My wife uses one exclusively now and loves it. She uses 160 gr for deer and 180 and 185 for anything bigger, including moose. As for a nice short action, it might sound weird but have you thought about a mid-fifties vintage Savage 99? You could rebarrel that to a 338 Federal and have a light, handy moose rifle capable of taking them in just about any terrain out to 400 yards.

Pac-Nor burnt to the ground last week. They will probably not recover.
UPDATE 10/26/19: Our Forum members contacted Pac-Nor and learned that the Dichters plan to rebuild the facility: "I got an e-mail from Kathy Dichter and she said six months to a year to rebuild, hopefully. She also said you could follow their progress on Facebook. That's great news for the shooting community."

I have a 6.5PRC, 7WSM (two of them) and a 300WSM all running out of the following short actions.

Factory Rem 700
BigHorn TL3
BigHorn Origin

I'd like to note if your hunting moose then you're in bear country weather it be browns or grizzlies. I'm not bashing any short actions. If your going to run a short action I'm just saying there's no replacement for displacement when it comes to shutting down a big bear. I've seen moose fall to a 243 Winchester, & I've seen big grizzlies laugh when hit with a 375 h&h. What ever you choose be confident in it and good luck

If weight is a concern a short action 700 is hard to beat, with over 70 years of longevity in one form or another it's proven to be a work horse, it allows itself well for weight reduction if one is looking for a true mountain rifle, as is out of the box one can still end up with a light handy rifle, I've built up a number of light short mags, as is the factory magazine box at 2.850 is a little short, I've never played with The Wyatt may box, but I have modified both the long and short Remington factory box's to 3.125 for the short 700 and 2.990 for the Remington model 7, once the tinkering is done I've never had a problem with feeding or ectraction, in calibers ranging from the 257 Ackley to a wildcat 7MM/325/338 WSM and all those in between, the fella with the 338 has traveled near and far Alaska to Africa and will likely be buried with that rifle, for me a 8 lb rifle is to heavy and wouldn't hunt with a gun that heavy, I've never taken a half mile shot, but I remember when 400 yards was thought to be to far, the heaviest of these rifles was 270 WSM with a 24 inch barrel and a 4 x 12 Leopold 4 rounds and 1 inch nylon sling tops out at 6 pounds 4 ozs, the rifle was not to picky it shot so well with both Barnes x and nosler accubonds 110 to 140 grain that other bullets were ignored, if I couldn't hit a coyote size critter at 600 yards with a rifle like that I'd give up hunting, so moose should not be a problem,

A Tikka action with trigger/dbm/magazine weighs 2oz less than rem 700sa with same components, It can run short action cartridges loaded long or long cases loaded to 3.62" from an aftermarket dbm and aics magazine. I've built 3 rifles off the Tikka now, and I've been very happy with em.

The .308 is like the girl next door. Maybe not a knockout model but everyday, common sense, smart & reliable & not a high maintenance rig. Very economical, abundant, accurate & capable. Modern bullets & still awesome. Check out the BC's of ALCO & other long range bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.