What Scope?

Invicta39

I have just purchased an 700 VLS 308. I intend to use the gun for some hunting, will be starting into long range (up to 500yds target shooting, Long range for me anyway. I am looking at several scopes and need some input.
My considerations are:
Leupold, Nikon, Burris, but am open to suggestions, not over $800 preferably.
Also, what reticle do you recommend?

sakofan

Nikon Tacticle..sakofan..4-16x50mm.
The Optic Zone has them for $809.00, shipped.

[ 05-29-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

dakotasin

i was recently at the same spot (same rifle, btw). after much comparing, and looking, and comparing some more, i went leupold 8.5-25x50 lr. i think this is probably the best scope for under $900.

Nate Haler

Unless you need low power for short-range hunting, then you should take a look at the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 and the Burris Black Diamond 6-24.

Varmint Hunter

I agree with Nate, "unless you need low power for short-range hunting",because its nice to have the high power end for sizing up game at a distance.
But if you will ever use your .308 in the woods, the 6.5X will seem like 20x and you'll be sorry that you mounted such a powerful variable.

I put a 3.5x10x40 on my 7STW and couldn't be happier. You can EASILY shoot out past 600yds with a 10x scope. I've shot small varmints @ 800yds with a 12X and could see and hold great.

VH

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.