What Scope?

Invicta39

I have just purchased an 700 VLS 308. I intend to use the gun for some hunting, will be starting into long range (up to 500yds target shooting, Long range for me anyway. I am looking at several scopes and need some input.
My considerations are:
Leupold, Nikon, Burris, but am open to suggestions, not over $800 preferably.
Also, what reticle do you recommend?

i was recently at the same spot (same rifle, btw). after much comparing, and looking, and comparing some more, i went leupold 8.5-25x50 lr. i think this is probably the best scope for under $900.

Unless you need low power for short-range hunting, then you should take a look at the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 and the Burris Black Diamond 6-24.

I agree with Nate, "unless you need low power for short-range hunting",because its nice to have the high power end for sizing up game at a distance.
But if you will ever use your .308 in the woods, the 6.5X will seem like 20x and you'll be sorry that you mounted such a powerful variable.

I put a 3.5x10x40 on my 7STW and couldn't be happier. You can EASILY shoot out past 600yds with a 10x scope. I've shot small varmints @ 800yds with a 12X and could see and hold great.

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.