What scope

I am looking to put together a rifle and scope for a mountain gun hunting primarily out west and Alaska I have the gun picked out itt weighs roughly 6.5 lbs. I want a scope that I can have custom turrets made for and must be light. Would like to get optimal yardage out of rifle as possible but I want the gun to weigh between 7.5 lbs and 8 lbs. any suggestions

What gun are you looking at? Lots of good ideas mentioned so far, I just recently went through this so I'll give you an idea what I did.

I ended up buying a CA Ridgeline in a magnum caliber with 26" barrel. Gun weighed 6 lb 12 oz.
Installed a VX5HD 3-15-44 in Talley ring mounts. Gun now weighs 8 lb 2 oz. 22 oz for scope and rings.
The CA carbon fiber stock weighs 33.3 oz. I just bought a McMillan edge fill Game Hunter stock at 25.7 oz.
The weight savings on the stock is 7.6 oz so I should end up with around 7-3/4 lbs give or take. I still plan on bedding the recoil lug so maybe couple more ounces. I know we're splitting hairs here but it all adds up. This gun is super light, I don't think I would personally want it any lighter. There use to be a general rule of 1 lb of rifle weight per 100 yards. Maybe we're all better than that now....

Another thing to look at is how you plan to carry. Have you looked at some of the lighter pack systems, Exomtn, Kifaru, etc?

Last edited:
Your right with the splitting hairs. How I carry depends on where I am hunting. Some places I use the scabbard on my pack. And other times I don't die to probability of bear. I have learned on past hunt that I didn't much enjoy the weight of a heavy rifle. So the little things do matter at least to me. That 7 3/4 mark is where I hope to be.

Swarovski Z5 3.5x18 BT....I have one on my mountain rifle....works great...I get 625 yards on one revolution on my 7mm SAUM

I want a Maven RS3 too..but it is like 28oz a full 12 oz heavier than the Z5....on a lightweight rifle every ounce must be scrutinized.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.