What rifles you guys running for varmint hunting?

Gonna tickle'em with this .243AI build.
thumbnail_image5.jpg

I just started fire forming brass for my 260 AI last week. Adding that to the stable for yotes. I'll also will be installing a 1-7" Colt lightweight 20" barrel on my AR15. I'll need to work on two stainless steel mags to seat out some 75 gr ELDM's for testing.

22 LR, 17 HMR, 204, 223, 6 Dasher, .243. I much prefer the 17 HMR under 200 yards and the 204 to 500 ish yards and 6mm high BC bullets or longer shots.

Honestly, the last 3 coyotes I have shot have been with my Glock 19 9mm. I always carry, and I work on remote sites a lot. So when I see a coyote while working, if it sticks around long enough, I shoot.
I just took my G23 this past weekend when a buddy wanted to do a quick drive around in his side by side lol. Great minds..........

What twist? I have a 1:9 I haven't done any load work, but was thinking about that bullet specifically.
@ Justice,..
IF, the 75 gr. ELD-M's, won't stabilize, in your 1-9 Twist, try the 73 grain, BT Bergers or. the 69 grain, TMK Sierra's.
Everybody with, a 1`-9 tw, is Hoping that, Sierra makes, 69 grain,.. Blitzkings !
As soon as, my .22-250 Rem, "goes South",.. I'm building, a .22 Creedmoor with, a 1-9 Twist, just for those, Bullet weights.
The 1-9, is a good compromise Twist, as has, ENOUGH Bullet Weight, great Speed ( awesome for, PBR ! ) and,.. BETTER,.. Barrel, "Life" !
IMO,. the 69 BlitzKing's will,.. Rule the Prairies ( someday,.. ) for, yotes with, Minimal,.. "Dialing".

Last edited:
What rifle I grab when I go calling largely depends on where I'm gonna call and how far I anticipate the shoots being. If I know most shoots are gonna be close, with 2-3 yards and in I'll take one of the small centerfires, 20 cal or 22 cal, if I think there will be some calling sets where the shots are long or the dogs are hanging up out a ways I'll take one of the .244s with a dial a dog optic. If I don't care about pelts I'll take whatever the flavor of the week is.

In high school and in my twenties my budget was limited and I had one custom 22-250 I used for everything varmint. I got to know that rifle extremely well, made some great shots running and at range. I'm not sure it matters what rifle you use so long as you know that rifle the best you can. Fear the guy with one rifle.

I finally had some spare dollars to put into a Ruger 77 thumb safety, 22-250. I bought it with a standard twist, 1:14 and .875 barrel. That barrel/stock loved 50 grain pills. When I sent it to a smith, new barrel was 1:8 and 1" at the muzzle. I am currently shooting 70 grain Bergers. Typical group size is just under .250 if I can pull the trigger correctly. This is my sit down and call rifle. I also have a Browning 78 in 22-250 that I can walk around and actually carry it with me. I bought it used and it came with a Canjar set trigger. I don't shoot this in a high wind. The trigger is VERY sensitive!

Varmint rifles have been my passion for the last thirty five years. I usually have several rifles ready to go. Approaching 60, I've found that lugging those 12-14 pounders around the hills gets tiring. LOL
Been working with my newest acquisition, an 8 twist Tikka 22-250 lately, it's a little different shooting it accurately compared to the heavy rifles. I haven't got the heavier bullets that I wanted to try figured out yet but the varmint weight bullets are shooting good.

556B1092-94BB-45EF-A611-E80F21A92149.jpeg
F675EB05-FB2E-45AA-B014-023E8CE34FC2.jpeg