What rifles you guys running for varmint hunting?

Varmint rifles have been my passion for the last thirty five years. I usually have several rifles ready to go. Approaching 60, I've found that lugging those 12-14 pounders around the hills gets tiring. LOL
Been working with my newest acquisition, an 8 twist Tikka 22-250 lately, it's a little different shooting it accurately compared to the heavy rifles. I haven't got the heavier bullets that I wanted to try figured out yet but the varmint weight bullets are shooting good.

View attachment 437253View attachment 437255
Can't argue with the results. Nice work!

@ Gary in MD,..
A GREAT "Combo" ^^^ and, reasonably Priced !

You've "Got" the Right Bullet for, great,.. PBR SPEED and,.. Varmint ( Predator ),.. "Killing effect" !
Gotta LOVE those, Tikka's and, the ole',.. .22-250 !

Last edited:
220 Swift, 6BR, 223
I love seeing 220 Swift mentioned. I'm thinking a 6mm Swift would be my next project if custom dies become available again. Otherwise my list in order of preference is 6ARC, 6XC, 6 creedmoor and 240 Weatherby. Still waiting on the 6 Creed due to our new (in the courts) constipated state laws for firearms approval. Last I checked I was #25,204 in the cue... :mad:

Last edited:
Gary, how's the throat in that tikka?
I haven't actually measured it. If I remember right, I found the rifling and backed off about 20 thousands. It does seem that the throat is a little long, but there is plenty of room in the magazine so no problem. I guess being an 8 twist, it's throated long for the heavies. I'm experimenting with the 75 grain Hornadys and Bergers now.
Gary

Sometimes my 223 AR. Mostly a savage lrpv in 204ruger. With a gun that's like 13lbs scoped, very easy to see hits through the scope.

6.5 CM ar10 savage
220 swift bolt gun ruger 77
223 rock river with thermal at night
And don't forget the 12ga with buckshot.
We 3 man team a lot and often some run in close real quick. The shotgun is a must.
Two hunts This weekend and next.

1386F9B8-546C-46D7-84D2-308D23324D4E.jpeg

We have settled on a 223AI and 6XC. We have used various other calibers, 17 hornet, 204 ruger, 223 REM, 220 swift, on up to 300WM for a shot or two.
Our 223AI's run a 53g vmax at 3500fps and top out at 3650-3700fps when the bullets self destruct. 28" 8 twist 6 groove barrels. This is with longer freebore, setup for AICS pattern magazines. Starline brass is absolutely fabulous for this, I've built or rebarreled 8 or 10 barrels, and have yet to get one that doesn't easily shoot under a quarter minute.

View attachment 437504
We have settled on a 223AI and 6XC. We have used various other calibers, 17 hornet, 204 ruger, 223 REM, 220 swift, on up to 300WM for a shot or two.
Our 223AI's run a 53g vmax at 3500fps and top out at 3650-3700fps when the bullets self destruct. 28" 8 twist 6 groove barrels. This is with longer freebore, setup for AICS pattern magazines. Starline brass is absolutely fabulous for this, I've built or rebarreled 8 or 10 barrels, and have yet to get one that doesn't easily shoot under a quarter minute.
Very impressive! What barrels and contours are you running?

Very impressive! What barrels and contours are you running?
Mostly Benchmark button rifled Sendero for the .224 6 groove 8 twist, a couple Bartliens in the 6mm. I have a DTA SRS so that takes a proprietary contour, love that thing with a 30" 6mm barrel! 😎
We go slay prairie dogs for vacation, so our stuff is set up for volume/economy… a thousand rounds of 223AI in a week of shooting! We get about 3000 rounds of accurate barrel life out of the 223AI, a year or two ago I started coating all our projectiles and bores with HbN, so we will see if I get an extra season out of them or not!

Mostly Benchmark button rifled Sendero for the .224 6 groove 8 twist, a couple Bartliens in the 6mm. I have a DTA SRS so that takes a proprietary contour, love that thing with a 30" 6mm barrel! 😎
We go slay prairie dogs for vacation, so our stuff is set up for volume/economy… a thousand rounds of 223AI in a week of shooting! We get about 3000 rounds of accurate barrel life out of the 223AI, a year or two ago I started coating all our projectiles and bores with HbN, so we will see if I get an extra season out of them or not!
Well, that is good to hear on the Benchmark Sendero! I looked at your pic and liked the contours. I have a Benchmark Sendero blank in 7mm coming in a few days. 7mm-08 AI I'm planning.