What rear rest is everyone using for load development and in the field? Thoughts on Protektor, Hunters Wedge, etc?

I use a protecktor heavy rear bag , it doubles for my benchrest matches and load work up at home range. It is a very heavy bag but feels stable as all can be when shooting off it which means I don't mind carrying it around if I feel it helps. I also have seb and bald eagle front rest comps but honestly for hunting and sporter style guns I really enjoy my old bull bag sandbag. I looked a while back don't think they make them anymore they are solid as a rock.

Curious what rear rest everyone is using for each application. I assume that this is one of those scenarios where there really is not a right answer.

I am considering buying a Protektor for load development and the Hunters Wedge with the Git Lite for hunting. Does anyone do anything similar to this? I feel like the extra weight of the Protektor and the solid base will make it better off of the bench compared to the Wedge.

The Hunters Wedge seems pricey, but I don't mind paying for a great product that can make my shots in the field better.
If you are shooting from a field bi-pod the are many good rear field bags out there.
If you want to use a front rest and rear bag purpose built for bench shooting or fixed position prone shooting...Give me a shout.

How do you like that wedge bag from LRO? Your really the first one to mention it
Howdy, it works with the older stock style that is shaped like a wedge, just as the name says. It's pretty solid, I wished it had a way of removing some fill. It does work, like anything you have to work with it. My favorite is bunny ears for the back. Hope this helps. 🤓

Curious what rear rest everyone is using for each application. I assume that this is one of those scenarios where there really is not a right answer.

I am considering buying a Protektor for load development and the Hunters Wedge with the Git Lite for hunting. Does anyone do anything similar to this? I feel like the extra weight of the Protektor and the solid base will make it better off of the bench compared to the Wedge.

The Hunters Wedge seems pricey, but I don't mind paying for a great product that can make my shots in the field better.

Our BEST RESTS

Len & Jill

I find myself using the Wedge more lately with angled stocks. It's design lets the stock rest in it better. The gamechanger is heavier and a little more solid but doesn't hold it's shape as well. I'm used to it from PRS though. If you have a chassis or flat bottom stock, it works better.
Are you using a standard wedge or something with a V in it? I like a wedge for the reason you mention with the rear stock angle, I just like that I can tuck the stock down into the gamechanger ears and lock it up.

For hunting I use Precision Underground's ELR rear bag and asked them to make it for me in their 'lite' fill. Doesn't weigh much but "locks up" excellently as a rear bag.

This is my next bag with a joy-podX most likely.

I need a deal on a neo-x in red 😉

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I like the 2021 gmc drivers side mirror. Perfect height and very stable
Lol. I used the driver's side mirror of my dad's 2017 GMC one afternoon shooting pd's in Wyo. last spring!
At the range I have a Hart front rest and use a Protektor rabbit ear rear bag that isn't quite full of sand.

This is my next bag with a joy-podX most likely.
With both Bigfoot or Standard Rear bags, I typically have spacings in stock between the ears at the base: 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1"