What rear rest is everyone using for load development and in the field? Thoughts on Protektor, Hunters Wedge, etc?

Another vote for a gamechanger here. I just got in another waxed schmedium yesterday actually. Bipod on the front, gamechanger holds the rear. Plus as others have said, it makes a great front roast too, which is what it was originally meant for.

You can really lock a rifle down in one. I've shot off of my tripod with the bag on a plate on top.

Curious what rear rest everyone is using for each application. I assume that this is one of those scenarios where there really is not a right answer.

I am considering buying a Protektor for load development and the Hunters Wedge with the Git Lite for hunting. Does anyone do anything similar to this? I feel like the extra weight of the Protektor and the solid base will make it better off of the bench compared to the Wedge.

The Hunters Wedge seems pricey, but I don't mind paying for a great product that can make my shots in the field better.
Medium Game changer heavy sand for bench shooting and PRS matches. Same bag with Git lite for hunting.

Howdy, in my reloading room I am fortunate to be able to shoot out of my window year around. I use Caldwell Tack Driver front bag and pending on the rifle I use the Caldwell rear rabbit ears or Thunderbird wedge bag I got from LRO site. Out in the field hunting what ever I can find, tree, rocks a mound of dirt. Something to help steady my rifles. 😉

Attachments

• 20230214_091401.jpg
    20230214_091401.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 78
I have a couple of Weibad bags for hunting and load development. I never used to take any rest hunting, but these are versatile and increase my confidence.

I haven't done any load developement yet as I am new to reloading but I was considering a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2 for the range, is that a poor idea compared to those here?
I abandoned my Led Sled after reading here that they are not nearly as accurate as shooting prone from a bipod. I made the switch, and added a rear bag with very noticeable improvement. I also found that using a stuffed backpack in place of the bipod was just as accurate as the bipod, and allowed me to remove the weight of my expensive Atlas bipod.

I use what I use hunting. A MDT bipod, a ultra light rear bag or my tripod and rear bag. I have zero issue being steady with a simple bipod and rear bag and I never shoot off a bench. I agree a bench is more comfortable but I just don't really ever shoot at a range. All my development is in the field so that changes things a bit I suppose.

Howdy, in my reloading room I am fortunate to be able to shoot out of my window year around. I use Caldwell Tack Driver front bag and pending on the rifle I use the Caldwell rear rabbit ears or Thunderbird wedge bag I got from LRO site. Out in the field hunting what ever I can find, tree, rocks a mound of dirt. Something to help steady my rifles. 😉
How do you like that wedge bag from LRO? Your really the first one to mention it

Same as most above - bipod up front and armageddon game changer in the back. Schmedium in heavy fill.

I have a Protektor too but rarely take it for load dev. My range inclines pretty significantly as you get further out. The game changer is nice to rotate / adjust from the rear, less time tweaking the bipod.
My range is similar to that and I could see how the size of the game changer would be beneficial