What range finders ?

My experience has been if you know your max range that you want to shoot take that and double it and buy a rangefinder that fits. I currently use a Lecia 1600B and there have been days (bright sunny) could not range over 1000 yards. It will range most of the time out to 1200 yards without fail.

The Vortex is a great little unit for around $350 but 1000 is pushing it's limits. In bright daylight mine is good to 600-800 depending on target reflectivity. Dusk and dawn it goes 900-1050 on trees. I really like the Leica 1600B for longer ranges but they are more than $500. The Bushnell 1600 is good for longer stuff but is more bulky and may not have the pinpoint accuracy of the Leica. They are right around $500.

Threre is a Swaro for Sale in the Optics Section ( I'm not connected to the Seller ) . It's $635 not $500 , but if it works like mine , that's the way I would go .

I want to range out to 1,000 yards don't want to spend over $500.00 Are Leopold DNR good ?

I just sold my leupold. It won't hit anything at 1000. It was an rx1000. I will be going with a bushnell 1500. A friend of mine has one that I tried extensively. That $200 bushnell spanked my leupold on everything past 500. I wasn't even hitting ranges around 600 yards.

I bought a Bushnell elite 1500. I will let you know how it tests out. The glass isn't good, but my buddies' really gives great readings.

If I don't like it, in will get a Swaro laser guide. They are running $500 used on eBay. Not too bad. But if the Bushnell meets my 1000 yard needs, then great. Only $200 and I don't have to worry about thieves going after the swaro's in my truck.

Re: What range finders ? Buahnell 1 Mile ARC

Loook closely at the Bushnell Elite 1 Mile ARC rangefinder. Optics Planet has them for $499., exactly your max price point. It is a 7 power monocular style.

This rangefinder also gives you the ballistic range when shooting at up or down angles.

I have the pricier 1 Mile ARC 10 X 42 binoculars and they are very good, giving exact ranges to 1 mile on "semi-reflective" targets like granite boulders. They easily range to 1,000 meters or yards, depending on your preferred setting.

My binoculars also have a ballistic input using Bushnell's online chart for factory ammo. When the correct ballistic category (1 thru 7) is entered along with your zero range you get a readout either in mils or MOA (you choose when in the "setup" mode) for the correct hold over or under. I would think the monoculars also have this feature as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.