what kind of action???

Slaysesh

i want to build a 6.5X284. this is where i need to start so remington 700, sako or custom??? whats the best value for my money?

Rem 700LA trued and blue printed would be my vote or your could drop another 3-400 on a surgeon action... integral 20moa base and recoil lug definatly my second choice. from a value stand point

So in the long run the 700 will be just as good as any custom and a few hundered dollaers cheaper? Also what should i pay for a standard 700 action, not trued or blueprinted?

Thanks for all the responses but I'm new to this stuff! What should a guy pay for just a Remington 700 action? Not trued or anything?

i want to build a 6.5X284. this is where i need to start so remington 700, sako or custom??? whats the best value for my money?
I would go with a Howa/Vanguard action. You can get them for less and IMO, they are a better action for the following reasons.

Single piece ported bolt
Sako style extractor
Integral recoil lug
Flat bottom receiver
Easy tune trigger

I have both Vanguards and 700's and prefer the Vanguards. Doing builds on both currently. I have also tuned triggers for both and was able to tune my Vanguard triggers in less than 5 min to a crisp 1 1/2 lbs while it took 30 min or more to tune the old style 700 triggers down to only 2 1/2 lbs.

If you upgrade to a Timney trigger you can get a 3 position for the Howa/Vanguard, but in order to get a 3 position for the 700 you must replace the bolt shroud for about $125.

Also, the Vanguard long action is about 1/4" shorter than the 700 so a little more compact which fits the 6.5x284 cartridge a little better.

Not all smiths work on Howas because they are metric threads. Both of my smiths convert the metric to standard when they do the rebarrel.

Hope that helps.

Do your self a favor and go with Defiance, Borden or Stiller. If you are getting a custom stock, barrel, and trigger why settle for a M700???

Re-sale value is better too.

I was kinda thinking still but there a clone to a 700 anyways! And I don't mind the howas they seem okay but there safety's look is ugly and I don't like where it's located.

Real question is what are the 700 actions going for used?? Say it's a good deal

I was kinda thinking still but there a clone to a 700 anyways! And I don't mind the howas they seem okay but there safety's look is ugly and I don't like where it's located.

The Howa safety is very similar to the 700 in appearance and location is almost identical, just slightly closer to the bolt than the 700.

Real question is what are the 700 actions going for used?? Say it's a good deal

You should be able to google that easily. I would say about $400 - $500 depending on condition and SS vs CM

Or you might be able to pick up a used rifle for $400 or so.

I have bought several used Vanguards in the $200-$300 range.

I would go with a Howa/Vanguard action. You can get them for less and IMO, they are a better action for the following reasons.

Single piece ported bolt
Sako style extractor
Integral recoil lug
Flat bottom receiver
Easy tune trigger

I have both Vanguards and 700's and prefer the Vanguards. Doing builds on both currently. I have also tuned triggers for both and was able to tune my Vanguard triggers in less than 5 min to a crisp 1 1/2 lbs while it took 30 min or more to tune the old style 700 triggers down to only 2 1/2 lbs.

If you upgrade to a Timney trigger you can get a 3 position for the Howa/Vanguard, but in order to get a 3 position for the 700 you must replace the bolt shroud for about $125.

Also, the Vanguard long action is about 1/4" shorter than the 700 so a little more compact which fits the 6.5x284 cartridge a little better.

Not all smiths work on Howas because they are metric threads. Both of my smiths convert the metric to standard when they do the rebarrel.

Hope that helps.

FYI the Howa/Vanguard action does not have a Sako style extractor it is a M16 style extractor. That is important since the M16 style is a much safer than the Sako.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.