what kind of action???

my last build, it took a while but i got a nice used 700 on g-b for 365, then sold the barrel and stock for 75.00.

it is just hard to beat 700s, especially if money is any concern.

I too looked and could not find it. Either a link or pm me one please. Thanks. Bruce

Can't for the life of me get a link to post here. And even then I sent all of you on a wild goose chase. Sorry! Try Accurateshooter.com. Then hit the forum button, and look for the main board (will be the very frst board on the list). Then scroll down to look at the guy that is shooting two identical 30BR's. One in a custom action (BAT?) and the Savage PTA
gary

A Savage action is like a Dodge. It doesn't matter how good it is, it's still a Savage.

I ended up buying a Remington 700 standard action. Now time to look for a stock! And barrel choice! Thinking about a lilja or a kregger barrel. Any opinions?? I think I want a straight taper maybe? From what I hear they are more accurate

A Savage action is like a Dodge. It doesn't matter how good it is, it's still a Savage.

unless it's a race hemi stealing money out of every other guys pockets on race day. You buy that custom action like the guy the did the post on the other board. Spend high bucks for a top of the line Krieger barrel. Use the same reamer and the same headspace numbers, and shoot almost as good as the $500 PTA action does. What most of you here do not know is that the OP is no dummy, and a fairly well known benchrest shooter. You take that vaunted 700 action, and true it up (be lucky to be within .010"), put a nice Jewell trigger for about $500. Then you gotta fight it the rest of the way, cause you'll still be chasing that PTA. The PTA action is much stiffer, has a far better lock time, better case alignment to the bolt and bore, uses three screws to bed the action (all perpendicular the the centerline). You just can't make a 700 action run with the custom actions, but it looks like at least one production action can and will.
gary

I ended up buying a Remington 700 standard action. Now time to look for a stock! And barrel choice! Thinking about a lilja or a kregger barrel. Any opinions?? I think I want a straight taper maybe? From what I hear they are more accurate

No they are not! I did the strait 1.25" barrel in my 6BR and have regretted it ever since. The female threads in the bridge will not support that kinda weight unless the barrel is very short, and even then it's marginal. Mine is 1.25"x 22.5" long. A typical 26" barrel will actually twist that action due to all the leverage it hands out. Go for the light varmit benchrest contour in whatever length you desire (what the caliber is will determin what the barrel length should be). That 6BR should have been something like a #7 contour, 23" long max.

When the weight of the barrel surpasses the weight of the action your introuble. You could of course simple bed the barrel and float the action like a few 22 rimfire bench rest shooters do. Most barrels are in that nature anyway when you get into a heavy contour, and this creats a lot of flex when you compound 60K psi into the mix. But nothing like adding all that weight to the mix. If your just going to shoot a 6BR or a 6PPC, I'd go with the standard light varmit contour at 23" in length (still comes in at .987" at the muzzel), or better yet a hunter's benchrest contour that has .856" at the muzzel. Remember you only have about 3/4" od threads in there to hold all that weight in a horizontal plain. If your looking at something like a 6.5x47 I'd go with the ligh varmit contour and pray you make weight.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.