Little old school project…. Kind of

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
For the first 10 years of my shop my main income was from rebuilding factory rifles, mostly Rem 700 rifles. Full blueprinting, new recoil lug, new trigger, modify scope rail screws to 8-40s, replace striker assembly, new stock, pillar bedding, match grade barrel. This was my money maker for the start of my career.

since around 2013, i had pretty much stopped doing these types of projects simply because i did not have time with manufactuing my full custom Raptor and Stalker rifles.

occasionally i will get a hair and take on one of these projects if they are interesting.

had a customer contact me with wanting a long range bench rifle in 284 win. I have a soft spot for the old 284 so agreed to do it. This one would be converted to a single shot using a mcmillan mbr stock and a 30" lilja barrel i have had sitting on the rack for a decade now….

we cerakote finished the metal in flat black for a nice contrast to the pretty loud stock!! 😳

turned out pretty cool.
6D95D003-33E6-4580-B345-0EF1FFD51E3D.jpeg

E096D6C1-F538-40D2-B5F4-608B088654DB.jpeg

customer requested that i develop a "Prairie Dog" load for him using the 120 gr Vmax bullet. This kind of goes against the nature of this rifle being set up for long range shooting but in calm conditions it will easily reach out to that half mile mark or more.

load development produced a good comfortable load reaching 3370 fps with the 120 gr thanks to the long barrel. This was honestly faster then i was expecting to see as lilja barrels are not known to be the fastest barrels around on average.

tested at 200, 400 and 800 yards and she shot extremely well.

kind of neat to do these once in a while, however i will admit, the time it takes to build one of these. I could build at least two of my full custom Raptor or Stalker rifles….

turned out very well though.