Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
I know about compression drop and smog devices starting in 1972. I had a 69 Dodge Dart, a 70 340 Duster (my favorite) a 70 Dodge Charger RT 440 mag. A 69 Plymouth Roadrunner. I did have a 1974 Dodge Charger with a smogger low compression 400. It was a great road car though. Always wanted a Hemi Cuda.
I had a 1964 Plymouth Valiant Hyper-pack (#647?). Look it up. Not knowing what I had ,I built it into a gasser. Fenderwall headers and all. I drove it on the street with turbo corvair mufflers. I always wondered why the cops looked at and followed me. Sorry about this being off subject, but couldn't help myself. Dammmittt

I don't have a problem with up to 338RUM, with a brake. My 454 Casull SA really rocks when you touch it off. Not sure what the recoil is on it- but I'm good for about 25 rounds, then I have to rest for a bit when practicing. Many years ago- a fellow shooter at a local rifle club, had a Kimber BGR in 505 Gibbs. I watched him shoot 2 rounds before he said " enough of this !!" He offered it to me to shoot- and I politely passed.

I had a 1964 Plymouth Valiant Hyper-pack (#647?). Look it up. Not knowing what I had ,I built it into a gasser. Fenderwall headers and all. I drove it on the street with turbo corvair mufflers. I always wondered why the cops looked at and followed me. Sorry about this being off subject, but couldn't help myself. Dammmittt
That's pretty cool ! I put some turbo mufflers on my 340 Duster once .One day changing jetting in the Holley 750 double pumper. Too rich jumped on it for aways and let off gas. Boom ! Backfired and blew them both open. Went back to blown out glasspacks. Hit a dip at speed once and flattened a pair of Hooker headers also 🙄

That's pretty cool ! I put some turbo mufflers on my 340 Duster once .One day changing jetting in the Holley 750 double pumper. Too rich jumped on it for aways and let off gas. Boom ! Backfired and blew them both open. Went back to blown out glasspacks. Hit a dip at speed once and flattened a pair of Hooker headers also 🙄
As much as I'm enjoying this conversation, isn't this thread supposed to be something about recoil?

I don't think I've ever posted anything about recoil yet...? 🤔
Maybe way back in begining pages ?

Last edited:
My cousin who at the time was in his early twenties and a string bean build decided a 12 gauge was not enough turkey gun for him. He bought a H&R single shot 3-1/2" 10 gauge. Decided he was going to pattern it from the sitting position with his back against a tree like he was hunting. This particular tree had a nice nook in it that he fit in nicely like it was formed for his body. Back support- ✔️ Shouler support- ✔️. His father and I both warned him but he pulled the trigger anyway. This may sound cruel but the amount of amusement his father and I got from watching this spectacle was quite high. Like **** your pants funny. Not so much for him.

My cousin who at the time was in his early twenties and a string bean build decided a 12 gauge was not enough turkey gun for him. He bought a H&R single shot 3-1/2" 10 gauge. Decided he was going to pattern it from the sitting position with his back against a tree like he was hunting. This particular tree had a nice nook in it that he fit in nicely like it was formed for his body. Back support- ✔️ Shouler support- ✔️. His father and I both warned him but he pulled the trigger anyway. This may sound cruel but the amount of amusement his father and I got from watching this spectacle was quite high. Like **** your pants funny. Not so much for him.
Once you warn him, feel free to enjoy his ignorance!

Along those lines, and like others have mentioned, the shooting position greatly influences where the ceiling is.