Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
The hardest kicking rifle I ever owned was a Winchester mod 70 feather weight in .270 . It just flat out hurt to shoot it from a bench. I hunted with it a couple of years before trading it off.
My father has a pre-64 Model 70 featherweight in 30-06. Loads up maximum speed/pressure 180s. After about 5-6 shots off the bench I'm done. Not pleasant to shoot at all. Prints nice groups for the first 3 shots, then that skinny barrel gets red hot and the shots wander. No matter, the first couple are the only ones that count when hunting, and it works. Have to say neither of us have used that gun hunting in years as it is no fun to practice with.

According to the JBM calculator the heaviest recoiling rifle I ever shot was 31.2 pounds. It didn't seem much different if at all than my normal 26 pound recoil rifle. Mine is a 300 Win Mag that I shoot sessions of 100 rounds. It doesn't bother me one bit. Crazy thing is I think I may be slightly more recoil sensitive than may. Though looking at numbers and reading this thread I guess I'm not.

Even though I'm of medium build, 5'-11" and 190lbs, I have reached the recoil limit of nearly all my rifles while "benchrest shooting" except the Savage in .17 HMR up to the AR-15 in .223 or 5.56. I am 72 now, 73 this summer...
When verifying zero I use the led sled for the .340 and .378 Wby Mags, and even the 30-'06. I even use a shoulder pad, and I shoot pretty much year 'round with the larger mag calibers. However, once in the field and on an animal, it's like I never feel the recoil with any of them. I suppose there's something to be said for the adrenaline cursing through the veins at that moment. Both the .340 and .378 Wby Mags have factory muzzle brakes and are really not that bad, but I don't know the value in pounds of recoil?

Having said that, I described in another thread how punishing it was to shoot a .460 Wby Mag, which is definitely "over my limit". The recoil was so painful and gave me a headache...never again! Additionally, I recently got a CVA Wolf Muzzleloader for additional hunting season. It's a rather short and light (compared to the full size Wby Mark V 26"bbl). I was trying 320gr Maxi-ball, 350gr Maxi-Hunter and 420gr No Excuses bullets. Each tested with between 100gr to 120gr Triple 7 powder. I finally settled on the most accurate load which is the 420gr "No Excuses" bullet over 110gr 777 powder. Well, the recoil from that thing is quite an eye opener, and I'd have to say that is my max now!

The one variable not really talked about was a lot of those older rifles had steel butt plates. Obviously designed & installed by a very mean person. I shot my dads 30/30 when I was maybe 14-15 that had steel butt plate in a T shirt. Not sure but I might have swore for the first time in my life!

I'm 5'11" and 185. I find 300WM uncomfortable to shoot without a break. I've shot my friends a few times over the years and I'm reminded each time why I don't own any 30 calibers. I'm a 7 mag and down guy. I've shot up to moose and never had any issues on game.

If I were targeting a grizzly bear I might buy a 30 cal rifle for more punch.
Wait a minute, 5'11" and 185 lbs doesn't sound like a Prairie Sasquatch to me. I was in visioning more like 6'8" and 385 lbs. 😉

I bought my first hunting rifle when I was 13. Rem 7600 pump in 30-06. Steel butt plate of course but that's what all the old guys in our crew were using so that's what I apparently needed. I thought the abuse was just something you had to live with to kill big game. It was all I used for 20 years until I bought a nice light 7mm-08 with a recoil pad. Now when I look at my old pump in the safe it's like a scarecrow to remind me.

The running theme is us older (more mature) geezers have had our fill of "boomers"! I was going to rebarrel my old Sendero 300WM but decided since only shooting it a few times not worth it. My .270Win (TH) is so much more enjoyable to shoot!

Well ….. at 70, I'm not quite ready to "pack it in"! I honestly do not know how well I can handle long strings of 59 ft/lbs recoil.

With the component shortages, and pricing….yes, I'm cheap…..I don't shoot as much as I once did. I also, now use a PAST recoil shield when shooting from the bench. ☹️

I'll be doing a lot more shooting this summer as, I have a lot of ammo to burn…..and will be developing a new load for my rifle. So….by the end of summer I'll know if I've become a soft, feeble, old man! Wish me luck or offer condolences…..whichever may seem appropriate! 🤔 memtb

While I don't mind shooting heavy recoiling rifles, I prefer not to. Shoulder and neck surgeries combined with old age have made me less macho. Most of my rifles wear brakes now. I do enjoy shooting my 45-70 Marlin but one of the most unpleasant rifles I ever shot was a synthetic Model 70 in 300 WSM. Even though the chart shows it has less recoil energy, it just had a much sharper kick to it.

OK, I'll chime in. Recoil threshold for me varies. I have no problem shootiing anything during a hunt up to a .375 H&H with a 300 grain bullet. On the range, I would probably keep it 12 rounds or under. Shot 116 rounds of 300 WBY once. I have shot maybe 20 rounds or 338 LM in 285 grains. But shoot a few other calibers that days as well.
So, at the range, big magnums, heavy bullets, I don't want to shoot too many. Maybe I am "recoil sensitive"
Hunting, haven't found one yet. But never shot 458 Magnums, or 500 NE either

Last edited:
Well ….. at 70, I'm not quite ready to "pack it in"! I honestly do not know how well I can handle long strings of 59 ft/lbs recoil.

With the component shortages, and pricing….yes, I'm cheap…..I don't shoot as much as I once did. I also, now use a PAST recoil shield when shooting from the bench. ☹️

I'll be doing a lot more shooting this summer as, I have a lot of ammo to burn…..and will be developing a new load for my rifle. So….by the end of summer I'll know if I've become a soft, feeble, old man! Wish me luck or offer condolences…..whichever may seem appropriate! 🤔 memtb
When it gets to that point just push the .22LR out past 300 yds until you find the appropriate level of difficulty and frustration and enjoy!