Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
Clearly some people are into self-abuse.

When I was young and working in a LGS, a customer ordered a LH German made 460WBY Mark V rifle. It took about a year for the rifle to come in and the customer no longer wanted the rifle and forfeited his hefty deposit. The gun sat on the shelf collecting dust for a loooong time. I would make an offer on it every now and then. Eventually the boss gave in and gave me the rifle for a fraction of its cost.

There was no brass available, so I got a few boxes of factory 500gr WBY ammo and went shooting. Yup, all 140lbs of a skinny kid and his 460WBY rifle. That sucker threw me back so fast that my eye glasses would end up on the ground after every shot. LOL

But the self-abuse didn't dissuade me so I bought some dies and kept shooting that stupid rifle. Most of my friends would pull the trigger on that thing only ONCE and they could barely hold on to it. I shot a few PA groundhogs and eventually put the rifle in the back of my safe.

As I got older & smarter, I put on a few pounds, got rid of the eye glasses, and sold that rifle!! For the life of me, I just don't know what compelled me to buy that monster in the first place. 🤪
Bet you made a profit though!

Last edited:
WYO300RUM-

If you go for the shoulder replacement you'll almost certainly find the rehab a lot easier than it was for your knee. I've had both shoulders and my right knee replaced and the knee was the hardest rehab. And don't do what I did with my right shoulder, i.e. put off having it replaced until the constant pain is simply unbearable. I just kept on keeping on for 10 years after a massive rotator cuff tear and the damage done by doing so left the cuff unrepairable, so I had to have a reverse total shoulder replacement done. That results in a significant loss of strength and range of motion. And I'm severely right handed, i.e. not the least bit ambidextrous.

WYO300RUM-

If you go for the shoulder replacement you'll almost certainly find the rehab a lot easier than it was for your knee. I've had both shoulders and my right knee replaced and the knee was the hardest rehab. And don't do what I did with my right shoulder, i.e. put off having it replaced until the constant pain is simply unbearable. I just kept on keeping on for 10 years after a massive rotator cuff tear and the damage done by doing so left the cuff unrepairable, so I had to have a reverse total shoulder replacement done. That results in a significant loss of strength and range of motion. And I'm severely right handed, i.e. not the least bit ambidextrous.
Thank you for the great info. My tear causes an impingement when raise arm or try to reach behind my back. I don't think I need a shoulder replacement. Hopefully just scoped.

Last edited:
WYO300RUM-

So I'm in the same boat. Both my shoulders have rotator cuff repairs that are no longer repairable. The doc recommends reverse shoulder replacement on both shoulders. For the past couple years I have gotten by with cortisone shots every 3 months but they keep telling me it's only a matter of time before replacement is inevitable. So how has your replacement effected your shooting recoil tolerance?
I'm a Woose anyway and I'm always happy to pick up my smaller cal rifles at the range these days.

littlebighorn-
The reverse shoulder replacement limits both overhead and behind the back range of motion, so it''s not a trivial impairment.

It's not yet known how durable the reverse prosthesis is so my own limit on recoil is more based on protecting the prosthesis than on what's comfortable.

WYO300RUM-
It would be wise to have an arthroscopic examination of your remaining rotator cuff integrity because there is a possibility that it might be repairable. They tried repairing mine initially but the tissue was so far gone that the connective tissue would just shred whenever it was moved.

littlebighorn-
The reverse shoulder replacement limits both overhead and behind the back range of motion, so it''s not a trivial impairment.

It's not yet known how durable the reverse prosthesis is so my own limit on recoil is more based on protecting the prosthesis than on what's comfortable.
I hear ya. I've also had my left knee replaced twice and they warned me that I should take care of it because I may not have enough bone left to do it a third time.
I've had MRIs on both shoulders and my doc says they are too far gone (too much muscle atrophy to do another rotator cuff repair.
For sure I am putting off the surgery as long as I can stand it. I'm still quite active but I know it when I've overdone it. Not much heavy lifting above the waist these days. Thanks for the feedback and best of luck with the shoulders!

WYO300RUM-
It would be wise to have an arthroscopic examination of your remaining rotator cuff integrity because there is a possibility that it might be repairable. They tried repairing mine initially but the tissue was so far gone that the connective tissue would just shred whenever it was moved.
Yes. I was guessing scoped as was suggested back then. I stopped abusing it so it may be fine to be scoped. I had both knees done years ago.

WYO300RUM-
Will do. Thank you !