What is your preference for trigger type and pull weight for long range hunting?

Don't tell that to us old Nat'l Match shooters who, by reg, had to use 4.5# or higher triggers. ;)
I've spent enough time shooting an M4 at 300 yards and beyond to know that when you spend enough time with it it's possible. I've also come to realize that a trigger that heavy, for me, is in no way conducive to repeatable accuracy.

2lb. Did a 2 stage Trigger Tech on my last Bolt build and figuring it out. I like the LaRue triggers in my ar's and that's most of my shooting. So doing a 2 stage bolt gun just seems like a good idea. Will see.

I bought an Oregon Mountain Rifle and it has a Bix'n Andy trigger. Had never seen one...always used Timney or TT. This came set at 1.25# and breaks like a thin glass rod every time. I've never used a better trigger.

G

I've spent enough time shooting an M4 at 300 yards and beyond to know that when you spend enough time with it it's possible. I've also come to realize that a trigger that heavy, for me, is in no way conducive to repeatable accuracy.
While each to his own, I do have to somewhat disagree. I and many others made High Master and Distinguished and shot too many clean 600yd Slow Prone using good triggers in that range, and many of us also did it using the M14/M1A with a tuned 2 stage 4.5# trigger.
I wouldn't consider an "M4" a good comparison to judge by. YMMV

While each to his own, I do have to somewhat disagree. I and many others made High Master and Distinguished and shot too many clean 600yd Slow Prone using good triggers in that range, and many of us also did it using the M14/M1A with a tuned 2 stage 4.5# trigger.
I wouldn't consider an "M4" a good comparison to judge by. YMMV
Yeah, I'm well aware that there are a lot of people that can shoot good with good 4.5lb triggers. I'm not saying it's not possible. As I said FOR ME, a trigger that heavy is not conducive to consistent accuracy. I know my limits and what I like and shoot best with. It's quite possible that I have very poor shooting form and a lightweight trigger makes up for that FOR ME. The M4 is the rifle with a heavy trigger that I've spent the most time with. Since I got out of the army I no longer consider triggers in that weight range as I have no use for them.

Last edited:
The trigger tech triggers are pretty sweet piece of work. The one in the rifle I've been using is a diamond single stage I belive. I personally would prefer a 2-stage though. I learned to shoot with AR15 triggers and I like having the first bit of pull to breath out before I break the wall of the trigger.

For my hunting rifles I prefer generally close to a 2 lb trigger. I always preform the slam test to ensure it doesn't go off if the rifle gets jarred. My most recent purchase is a Trigger Tech. I like it a lot. Before that, I had always used Timney. I will say the customer service I received from Trigger Tech was exceptional. Good luck in finding what works best for you.

I have typically hunted with triggers in the 1.7 to 3 lb range that are fairly consistent 0.2 lb variance. But with the desire to hunt at longer ranges is the cost of better triggers able to consistently reproduce a very light trigger less than a lb with non detectable variance in the pull a worthwhile investment? Thanks James
On a designated target rifle a trigger pull is ok providing that one pays close attention where you are pointing the muzzle. Very light triggers have a tendency to slip and shoot the rifle with very little jarring or sometimes even when closing the bolt. On a rifle range during either practice or at a match with the rifle pointed down range this might be an inconvenience or a reason to shoot off and loose the match, but for a hunting rifle it is totally unacceptable. I have the triggers set between 2.5 and 4 pounds on all of my hunting rifles which makes inadvertently firing only a remote possibility. Always keep TAB K in mind whenever you handle a firearm T-Treat every firearm a if it is loaded. A-Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, B-Be sure of your target and Beyond. K-Keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot. All firearms accidents are caused by the violation of one or more of these rules. SHOOT SAFE - HUNT SAFE.

I run Timney elite hunters in both my LRH rigs set at 1.5 - 2.0 lbs. They have zero creep and break like glass. Like others have said, I think less than 1.5 lbs is getting a little iffy for my taste. I had a 300 WM years ago with an 8 oz trigger. I was a lot younger then and not quite as experienced. I never had any mishaps but it went off a few times before I was quit ready. When in a high stress situation a super light trigger is not necessary the best option. 1.5-2.0 lbs is about perfect for my liking. If you want to go lighter then that a set trigger would be my choice. I had a Sako with a factory set trigger that was super light and it worked like a charm. If you like 2 stage triggers go with a Calvin elite 2 stage. I just prefer a single stage trigger. It is just less to have to focus on. JMO