What is your preference for trigger type and pull weight for long range hunting?

My favorite, and most used LRH rifle is an older Cooper with their single stage design, set at 2#. It's quite nice. I get bench-rest grade accuracy, and it has been flawless and consistent for many years. My other LRH rifles have Huber Concepts and Timney 2 stage designs with 1.75-2# total weight @ 50:50/1st/2nd stage. I like 2 stage triggers for the focusing(set-up) effect of the first stage, and lighter second stage, particularly in freezing temps.

Last edited:
I have typically hunted with triggers in the 1.7 to 3 lb range that are fairly consistent 0.2 lb variance. But with the desire to hunt at longer ranges is the cost of better triggers able to consistently reproduce a very light trigger less than a lb with non detectable variance in the pull a worthwhile investment? Thanks James
IMO I would say yes. I run Jewel triggers in my comp guns @ 10oz. My hunting triggers are set to 24oz. Makes it require just a bit more intention to break but still have the ability to take the "longer" shots. Longer is different for everyone so don't be swayed by others. Most important is to practice with that trigger weight in the positions you will use in the field. Plenty of great options out there. Good luck.

Remember you are hunting...not benchrest shooting. Too many potential risks or hazards for me to use a light trigger when in the bush or field. Good triggers are adjustable and I move mine up a pound when hunting. I've known way to many excellent paper punchers that got buck fever to want to be near anyone using a 1 lb trigger while hunting!

I only use Trigger Tech's. I use their Diamond trigger. Very smooth pull, with little to no creep, very crisp break. Mine are at 8 ounces, but I am now just a target shooter. If I were hunting, I would likely keep them up closer to a pound pull.

I like two stage triggers. My preference due to military training and duties I want to know when the trigger breaks, and it is the same way with hunting and animal unpredictable movement. Anywhere from 2 - 2.75 lbs is adequate, for punching holes in paper I like no more than 1.5 lb single stage.

I have typically hunted with triggers in the 1.7 to 3 lb range that are fairly consistent 0.2 lb variance. But with the desire to hunt at longer ranges is the cost of better triggers able to consistently reproduce a very light trigger less than a lb with non detectable variance in the pull a worthwhile investment? Thanks James
I only hunt varmints, many at long range. All three of my Savage rifles have target springs installed in the trigger and a shim kit to square up the trigger and sear. They all trip below 1 pound. I've consistently killed chucks out to 800 yards with a 223.

I shoot the Timney Calvin Elite at 1.3 lbs. (that's where it ended up) in my 7 Mag.
I have bench rifles with much lighter triggers that I cannot even feel the break. But in the hunting scenario - excitement, cold numb fingers, etc - I would prefer to have it where I can detect the pull.

I shoot a lot at my ranch between 300-1200 yards, so my fundamentals become 2nd nature and minimizes any potential trigger issues.

2 lbs is about my max for hunting applications. I have a few guns with lighter triggers and the 1.5 range is pretty good too. Nice thing about good triggers is that you can change the poundage. I've started using Bix'n Andy and like them. The feel is a bit different from my jewel but not in a bad way. I chock it up to the different design and really like it.
I use single stage triggers and try to keep all my guns with the same poundage.