What is your ideal rifle set up for hunting suppressed

It's easy for me, the same rifle I use for most all of my precision center fire shooting. I insert the caliber / barrel for the job, and everything else stays the same. It's short and very well balanced. 20180407_153057.jpg
This is with the 26" .338 LM barrel and Surefire suppressor 45" over all llength! No need to sacrifice barrel length or have multiple high end rifles and optics. Fit, feel, optic, trigger, stay the same. As shown above is capable of taking Elk well past 1,000 yards, and accurate enough for Wood Chucks at 1,000 yards, however I prefer my 6.5 PRC barrel for that, or my .223 WSSM out to 500 yards.

If a "handy" manuverable rifle is the pick of the day, a 16 or 18" barrel chambered in what ever it takes to get your desired bullet to required velocity. (18" 7PRC for me. 180ELDMs at 2815fps)

Open counrty and cross canyon, a heavier weight and longer barrel. Again, chambered in what ever it takes to get the desired bullet to the required velocity. (26" 300PRC for me. 215 Bergers at 3050ish)

The rest is all personal preference.

I've got a couple short barrel single shots for really tight stuff and youth too. They are a delight to carry, even with a suppressor, but none of them are 500yd elk capable in my mind.

20240420_214012~2.jpg

Just finished building mine.

For Elk and smaller, 500 & in yardage, AND suppressed you can really get away with alot. I personally would feel better about a 7mm or 30 cal on Elk but there's plenty of proof out there saying a 6.5mm works well also. If its a dedicated Elk rifle, and not a deer rifle that occasionally crosses into Elk then why not go 7mm or 30 cal?

I'll vote:

Barrel length: 20-22" + suppressor

Caliber & Cartridges: 7mm/30 cal. 7 SAUM, 7 PRC, 300 WSM, 300 PRC.

Stock's: TS Customs KS1, AG Alpine Hunter, Manners Pro Hunter & LRH

Good luck to ya!! Fortunately you won't go wrong regardless. And food for thought, if you build on a long action/magnum bolt face, then you can always change your mind and swap a barrel later on with all of the above! 😎🤘🏼

I don't have any "500 yards and in" rifles. If I am elk hunting, you never know what your shot opportunity is going to be. Could be 50, could be 1000.

My shortest "elk rifle" is therefore a 24" 7SS w. TBAC Dominus 6.25" suppressor that is about a 950 yard elk rifle.

Defiance AnTiX SA
Manners PRS1 (I recently got an LRH to swap out that is 1lb lighter)
24" 1:8.4" Proof Sendero CF W. TBAC CB
TBAC Dominus w. Armageddon Gear cover
Hawkins Hunter DBM w. Accurate WSM mags
TriggerTech Diamond @ 5oz
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15x50 Gen 2XR
ARC M10 30mm low rings
Flatline Ops level

Pushes a 184 Hyb @ 2875fps w. N565

Otherwise, my main elk rifle is either my 26" 1:8" 28 Nosler pushing a 195 EOL @ 3098 or a 26" 1:9" 300PRC suppressed w. TBAC Ultra 9 pushing a 215 Hyb @ 3045fps. Both LR cross canyon thumpers.
Come on up and hunt the alder thickets with that goose gun barrel😁

It's easy for me, the same rifle I use for most all of my precision center fire shooting. I insert the caliber / barrel for the job, and everything else stays the same. It's short and very well balanced. View attachment 565626
This is with the 26" .338 LM barrel and Surefire suppressor 45" over all llength! No need to sacrifice barrel length or have multiple high end rifles and optics. Fit, feel, optic, trigger, stay the same. As shown above is capable of taking Elk well past 1,000 yards, and accurate enough for Wood Chucks at 1,000 yards, however I prefer my 6.5 PRC barrel for that, or my .223 WSSM out to 500 yards.
I'd really like a bullpup hunting rifle. It's too bad they all weigh a metric ton and cost a fortune.

Currently it's a tikka with an 18" benchmark #4 6 creedmoor in a KRG bravo but will be in a rokstok once that gets delivered.

Did the 22" 7 SAUM with a ultra 7 for a year and quickly decided that's too **** long with a suppressor for the type of elk hunting i do most.

Last edited:
I like a 20" barrel for suppressor use as that's where I find most cartridges aren't neutered too much and you don't end up with a crap load of loose carbon in the can from shooting that falls down in the barrel as soon as you point it up but is still pretty handy with a 5-7" can. Up to 22" is ok but beyond that is too long for a field rifle IMO and where it starts getting the weight of the can (assuming a light 9-12oz can is used) too far out and negatively effects balance with most rifles.

Stock choice comes down to personal preference but somewhere around 2lbs with a stock that is just slightly rear heavy will usually balance out pretty well with a mid weight (25-32oz) optic and a 20" #3ish or CF barrel and the can. For me the Manners PH is pretty much perfection.

My most common choice is 6.5cm with 24" fluted barrel and TB Ultra 7. I usually limit myself to 400 yards or so due to need for identification on managed lease.