What is wrong with my barrel?

You cleaned you barrel removed the copper fouling causing your accuracy to degrade. I have one gun that I simply do not clean do to this phenomenon I can shoot 3/4 moa with the rifle with a well fouled barrel. I cleaned it once and my groups opened way up it took 40 rounds to get the barrel to calm back down so now I simply never clean that one and really rarely clean any of them anymore. My advice is throw away your bore scope and cleaning rods foul the barrel with 50 rounds and see how it behaves.

You cleaned you barrel removed the copper fouling causing your accuracy to degrade. I have one gun that I simply do not clean do to this phenomenon I can shoot 3/4 moa with the rifle with a well fouled barrel. I cleaned it once and my groups opened way up it took 40 rounds to get the barrel to calm back down so now I simply never clean that one and really rarely clean any of them anymore. My advice is throw away your bore scope and cleaning rods foul the barrel with 50 rounds and see how it behaves.
I've got plenty of rounds loaded for it. Might as well try. Thanks.

Dang, you caught me! I found some pictures of targets off the internet and uploaded them here. You're probably too smart to keep dealing with imposters like me. Move on dude. Move on.
Not at all what I was saying. But keep complaining about a factory rifle without proving you can be better than factory. Good luck dude.

Yes, but I understand the difference between a good day any every single day. And the internet.
Dang, you caught me! I found some pictures of targets off the internet and uploaded them here. You're probably too smart to keep dealing with imposters like me. Move on dude. Move on.
Not at all what I was saying. But keep complaining about a factory rifle without proving you can be better than factory. Good luck dude.
Thanks for your input.

Bryan, do buy some JB bore paste ,do you own a bore guide ,a one piece 40/44 inch cleaning rod ,coated is better then plain steel . Rifles that are shot and not cleaned attract moisture , that in turn causes rust that forms pits in barrels ,and strips metal from the passing bullets . While your pictures ain't the best their not as good as the other pictures another poster posted . Copper wire brushs don't hurt steel barrels they clean them like a toothbrush. Forget the Tubbs bullets, JB ,& your strength will save you money, I'm a Browning fan , but I don't own any X/bolts , their Awesome rifles, just need better triggers,Pun intended!!!, With that few rounds through her I think you can save your barrel, good luck and Cheers,🤔👏😆

Bryan, do buy some JB bore paste ,do you own a bore guide ,a one piece 40/44 inch cleaning rod ,coated is better then plain steel . Rifles that are shot and not cleaned attract moisture , that in turn causes rust that forms pits in barrels ,and strips metal from the passing bullets . While your pictures ain't the best their not as good as the other pictures another poster posted . Copper wire brushs don't hurt steel barrels they clean them like a toothbrush. Forget the Tubbs bullets, JB ,& your strength will save you money, I'm a Browning fan , but I don't own any X/bolts , their Awesome rifles, just need better triggers,Pun intended!!!, With that few rounds through her I think you can save your barrel, good luck and Cheers,🤔👏😆
Thank you so much. I do own, and use, Tipton cleaning rods. I apparently allowed moisture to stay in the barrel too long. I'll try some of the JB's. Appreciate the advice.

After you shoot it, look for a carbon pattern...should look like even lines coming from each land. This particular barrel is an 8 groove, but it gives you the idea. I'd bet not many people have seen an 8 groove or even knew they existed. Normal damage from a cleaning rod jag usually occurs near 6 o'clock when the jag gets pulled back through after pushing the patch out if care is not taken. You wouldn't think a brass jag would cause damage to a steel barrel, but it will, especially if the jag is a larger diameter, then the rod.

Attachments

• FARM 034.jpg
    FARM 034.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I wouldn't throw away my cleaning rods and borescope like the guy suggested but he very well may be right about it just needing to be fouled back in. I had a R 700 that would shoot great with a fouled bore but eventually the accuracy would drop off so I'd clean it thoroughly. After the thorough cleaning it would take 25-35 rounds to settle back in.

As far as the Tubb's FF goes it may help. I used it on a rough factory barrel and now it doesn't foul up to the point accuracy drops quite as quickly and it cleans easier.