What is wrong with the NIB 338 RUM?

TheHunt

I have been searching on this site and reading. I have not seen what I am looking for…

I am a hand loader and have 7 mm Mag in Remington and an 1971 7mm Mag Mauser 98 that I inherited (Do not shoot) and a 270 Remington.

I am looking for a 338 because of the bullet choices and size. I have read that the 338 RUM is a cheap 338 Lapua. The 7 mm Mag loves the 150 grain bullets I feed it. I am looking for a rifle that can use heavier sized bullets.

I am looking at the 338 RUM because I can get it for fewer than 900 dollars. So what is bad about the Remington 338 RUM? I can not find the 338 RUM in SS Sendero…

Can I use the 338 RUM and shoot out to 600 yards with hunting accuracy? If I had 3000 dollars I would have an Edge built or buy a Sako Lapua…

I guess I am looking for opinions.

The 338 RUM would make an easy 600 yards hunting rifle.
I haven't seen many 338 Sendero's to be honest..if any.
If the 7mm is shooting good, I'd try some 168-180 gr bullets and see how she shoots at 600 yards. With good bullets, that would be a great combo for what you are looking.

I have a 338 RUM and have had no problems with it. It will shoot a 225 gr bullet at 3100 fps without even being pushed hard. There is some problem with availability of brass right now (I've been waiting on my backorder with Sinclair for 3 weeks now) but that is the case with a lot of brass. The dies are readily available.

I do not see a problem with the 338RUM at all

RL25-98.jpg

This rifle

REMINGTON 700 XCR 338 RUM -$0 SHIP/LAYAWAY : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

would need a muzzle brake installed and a recoil compensator in the stock, otherwise it would be ablsolutely brutal to shoot!

I have been searching on this site and reading. I have not seen what I am looking for…

I am a hand loader and have 7 mm Mag in Remington and an 1971 7mm Mag Mauser 98 that I inherited (Do not shoot) and a 270 Remington.

I am looking for a 338 because of the bullet choices and size. I have read that the 338 RUM is a cheap 338 Lapua. The 7 mm Mag loves the 150 grain bullets I feed it. I am looking for a rifle that can use heavier sized bullets.

I am looking at the 338 RUM because I can get it for fewer than 900 dollars. So what is bad about the Remington 338 RUM? I can not find the 338 RUM in SS Sendero…

Can I use the 338 RUM and shoot out to 600 yards with hunting accuracy? If I had 3000 dollars I would have an Edge built or buy a Sako Lapua…

I guess I am looking for opinions.

Find a good used Sendero in 300 RUM or 7mm RUM and have a good smith screw a
custom barrel chambered in 338 RUM and your ready to go for around $1400 or $1500
dollars.

Nothing else has to be done to the rifle except a good bedding job to have a real shooter.

I would go with a #7 tapered Lilja stainless 27" long (finished length of a 28" blank).

I use 225 and 250gr accubonds in mine and can shoot out to 1100 yards and have
1500 ft/lbs of energy at POI.

I have no need for a muzzel break because of the heavy barrel .

In my opinion the 338 RUM is a great cartrige and reloading is strait forward and inexpensive.

J E CUSTOM

SNIP

I have no need for a muzzel break because of the heavy barrel .

SNIP

Prone or at the bench do you wish you had a brake?
What FPS are you shooting the 250 NAB's
How much does your rifle weigh?

Thanks in advance, sounds like the combo I might need :)

edge.

Yes, that is a good deal. Get it have it bedded. Shoot it a ton. When the barrel is shot out, have it re-barreled to 338RUM or 338Edge.

Another option is to find a 338RUM LSS. It has the magnum contour barrel and laminated stock. That's what I shoot. I got it from Philny1 here on this site(mine's a lefty). Send him a PM and see if he has anything.

Prone or at the bench do you wish you had a brake?
What FPS are you shooting the 250 NAB's
How much does your rifle weigh?

Thanks in advance, sounds like the combo I might need :)

edge.[/QUOTE

Edge .The rifle weight is 13lbs ready to hunt. Recoil energy is only 37.2 ft/lbs
and recoil velocity is 13,8 ft/sec.

This is well below My limit of 80 ft/lbs and fun.

With the 225 gr it is 36.9 ft/lbs and 13.5 ft/sec recoil velocity.

My barrel is 27.3" and the velocity of my hunting load (Not Max) for the 250gr accubond
is Avg, 3058 ft/sec and 3294 ft/sec for the 225 accubond.

Also 1000 yard energy 1500+ ( Typo 1100yrds )for both.

And for "Thehunt" $800.oo for a Nib Sendero is a good price !! ( They list for $1290.oo ).

J E CUSTOM

If I buy the 300 RUM Sendero and then shoot the barrel out of it.

How much for the 338 RUM Sendero Barrel?

What do they run and who sells them?

What does it take to put that barrel on the rifle? Cost wise and process wise..

TheHunt,

Just thinkin' here. It may be that your route to get what you want within reasonable costs?

I just walked into the other room and looked at my Rem 700 338 RUM w/26" Rem Sporter Barrel and Holland QD brake with the thought of offering for a reasonable price. Then I said, nah. It shoots too well, is nice to carry and is good for a 1K elk when I find one.......

The rifel started out as a $495.00 REM 700 LH 338 Win Mag w/a Leuy VX-II 3-9X40. I bought it for a donnor action. The stock had been cut to a very bad angle. The second and third shots brought tears to my eyes and nearly ruined my shoulder but the group @ 200 was well under an inch.

The 338 Win cartridge wasn't sexy enough so I bought a new take off barrel from Kirby in 338 RUM for 40 bucks. (there's another place to look for barrels, smiths on this forum) An email to them might be revealing.

The 300 SMK moves out at 2735 fps which ain't all that much behind the Edge and it shoots super well.

So if you aren't in a hurry, shopping the "used" rack would be a place to look. People like the sound of owning a RUM but sometimes quickly chicken out when they feel the effects. (These are not the LRH type of fells, but they are out there)

The 300 RUM you mention is a decent price but I'm bettin' there are less expensive ways to go.

I notice that around here the pawn shops are overflowing with rifles.

Again, just thinkin' out loud..........

If I buy the 300 RUM Sendero and then shoot the barrel out of it.

How much for the 338 RUM Sendero Barrel?

What do they run and who sells them?

What does it take to put that barrel on the rifle? Cost wise and process wise..

As you are finding out 338RUM Sendero's are near impossible to find. A take-off 338RUM Sendero will be even tougher. I've never seen one. I've only seen a couple complete rifles sold the last couple years.

I was trying to imply that when the 300RUM barrel was ready to go away, a custom 338 barrel would take its place. Sorry, I didn't make it more clear.

Or, you could skip the shooting and sell the 300RUM barrel unfired. $150 or so seems to be a good to low price for Sendero Barrels.

Then you'd be into the rifle for only $650.

The barrel would need to be removed and a new one installed by a gunsmith. There are several great ones on this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts